Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
My N900's storage is getting rather full and i'm thinking of moving _everything_ to external storage, in this case a 256GB microSD card.

Question being: do large/SDXC cards work with the N900?

The Following User Says Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
endsormeans has in his signature stuff about that for N8X0 devices.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I think I have used a 256gb in my N900 but since last year it is now in my pinephone to test multimedia.
In any case with the small screen I mostly use my 128gb sd for a large cache of audiobooks rather than video. There is still no replacement for Panucci and I still have not gotten it to run on Pinephone/Mobian.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 222 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Prague
I have a 128Gb SD card in my N900 - but had to partition it as 2 x 64Gb drives as this is the biggest the N900 seems to support reliably.

It did work as a 128Gb drive but sometimes failed to mount. Now with 2x64Gb for the last 2 years, never a problem to mount.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to glo-worm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany, Wolfenbuettel
Funny, that you ask, because last week i was not shure, which microSD i should buy (used one with 200GB, net 183, is full): the 400GB Sandisk ultra fast with fastest read/write presented in photo- for 130 or the sandiisk ultra 512GB for 44 hangig between all other usb-sticks in computer-department.
To make it short, took the latter and after inserting, mkfs and 5min later: voila, 480GB are shown in df and are now filled near half with migrated stuff.
I need to say, that i'm taking frequently backups of SD, because i don't know, how much rear-mem is on card reserved for bad blocks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrischras For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chrischras View Post
Funny, that you ask, because last week i was not shure, which microSD i should buy (used one with 200GB, net 183, is full): the 400GB Sandisk ultra fast with fastest read/write presented in photo- for 130 or the sandiisk ultra 512GB for 44 hangig between all other usb-sticks in computer-department.
To make it short, took the latter and after inserting, mkfs and 5min later: voila, 480GB are shown in df and are now filled near half with migrated stuff.
I need to say, that i'm taking frequently backups of SD, because i don't know, how much rear-mem is on card reserved for bad blocks.
Interesting. Said SD card I wanted is out of stock unfortunately so I haven't upgraded. Yet.

I recall now that when I first got my N900 I changed maybe /etc/fstab or another .conf file to let me use ext2 on my SD cards.
So you will need to do that.
I don't remember what I had to do but it is searchable on TMO.
I don't use Windows so it doesn't matter to me but ext2 will not mount on a windows machine, not sure about Mac.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
The SD card I wanted in question (Samsung Evo+ 256GB) was in stock, after formatting it to FAT32 with Rufus I can confirm it works just fine in the N900.

I normally just stick it in the phone, sudo gainroot, partition and format (mkfs.vfat /dev/whatever). I partition it as I'm running flopswap, so have 2 swap and 1 data partition on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
I think the big limiting factor is file size in fat32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post: