Posts: 78 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Hafnia
Was browsing ebay for a spare battery for my n800 and came across this: http://global.ebay.com/gbh/viItem?ItemId=260211046511

It states 1800mAh, have anyone tried this?

Last edited by whc; 2008-02-14 at 14:53.

Not personally, but there were similar discussions in the 770 early days, which tended to show that :

- capacity ratings for cheap chinese knockoffs are sometimes fanciful,

- what you receive is not always what you saw on the shop page,

- even when they got a battery with the correct sticker, most users were unable to see a difference with the Nokia original in real life use.

YMMV :-)

and of course YNMBU ( Your Nokia May Blow Up)

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Hafnia
Is there any real higher capacity batteries for the n800, or some high qualiy ripoff with same capacity/qality as the original bp-5l?

Anybody can reccomend a desktop charger, i am in for quality?

Wonder why these a-ole companies dont just develop some new standardize battery formats.. like the good ol AA, AAA, C, D, 9V, the various watch size batteries.. I have a bunch of electronic devices, all with very similar size shape batteries that arent compatible.. even from the same manufacturer..

Whenever possible I try and find alternatives that use standard batteries.. like for Digital cameras.. My last few digicams have all used AA batteries.. and now thanks to Sanyo and their eneloops.. there's useful low discharge batteries..

Actually.. if the government is truly concerned about these battery issues.. they should enforce and get companies talking... OBVIOUSLY the companies dont give a sh*t..

Just ranting .. cause I got a Garmin 10x Bluetooth GPS receiver that uses a BL-5C. my N800 uses a BP-5L .. and I was thinking of getting an N95-3 but decided to wait (for a touch screen phone).. I would have bought the N95-3 but it required yet another batter BP-5F. Whats up Nokia..

Last edited by futures; 2008-02-14 at 18:59.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by futures View Post
Wonder why these a-ole companies dont just develop some new standardize battery formats..
I certainly understand this desire. It's why I have Anton/Bauer Gold Mount adapters for all my production equipment. I don't have to deal with a variety of battery types. Two interchangable chargers, a pool of interchangable batteries, a few adapter plates to double-up & hot-swap batteries when there will be a need, and everything just works.

I don't see a battery standard--even a proprietary 3rd party one like Anton/Bauer--taking off in the consumer electronics space, but it's nice to dream. The closest I've come was when my Fujitsu Stylistic 500 tablet and my Sony Mavica digital camera used the same batteries.

Hrm. A Gold Mount adapter would be larger than the N800 itself, but even a "tiny" 14.4 volt, 30 watt hour ProFormer battery would power the tablet for a while, I bet...

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
futures: Probably because:
1) Companies can make loads of profit selling their proprietary batteries -and-
2) because it's a heck of a lot easier to make something that's the size and shape they want, when they control the size and shape of all the components including the battery. This is especially true with handhelds and phones where a couple mm is the difference between something being "thin" or "thick"

/me dreams of little radio-isotope batteries that give 20 years of runtime

-John

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alberta, Canada
By way of comparison I did buy a (Nokia branded but counterfeit) 1500mAh battery from an eBay seller for my N800, thinking I might get a little bit more performance from it. Instead I get terrible performance from it - standby lasts 2 days as opposed to 7 days with the original Nokia battery. Sigh.

Unless the vendor changes to some new kind of technology there's simply no way they can get more capacity into a same-size battery. With lithium-ion and lithium-poly standard technology it's a no-brainer what capacity you get given the volume of the battery.

Every (_real_) high-capacity battery I've ever heard of are always physically larger than the lower-capacity original. Take for example the high-capacity 3party batteries for the Treos, they need a replacement battery cover because the battery is thicker. The higher-capacity battery I put in my Palm T3 is also larger than the original, and the only reason it (barely) fits is that it's a lithium-polymer which can be formed like clay.

In short: If you see a replacement battery which claims higher capacity but still has the exact form factor as the original - don't bother. It's simply not true, unless they explain what kind of new type of battery technology they're using.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
futures: Probably because:
1) Companies can make loads of profit selling their proprietary batteries -and-
2) because it's a heck of a lot easier to make something that's the size and shape they want, when they control the size and shape of all the components including the battery. This is especially true with handhelds and phones where a couple mm is the difference between something being "thin" or "thick"

/me dreams of little radio-isotope batteries that give 20 years of runtime

-John
Completely agree.. I think its probably 90% #1, and 10% #2. Reasoning.. how do you explain Laptop batteries !?!?!

To me, its a no brainer.. some new standards covering battery shapes will be helpful to the environment and appreciated by consumers... All these lithium batteries I see are barely different in size than each other.. and I'm sure engineers can work around the dimensions.. I'm not saying stick to one standard.. make several..