Posts: 9 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Oklahomoa, USA
What would you like to see in a website optmized for the IT's?. Are there any good ones out there?

The Following User Says Thank You to mwhatch For This Useful Post:
the content portion of the display must be under 800px and reflow properly @ 120% or at least provide a reasonable font size for the content area which is readable to us 40-something's who have been staring at CRTs & LCD for over 30-years... I could care less if the ads or menus are outside that area, but the content needs to fit the display, assuming a three-column layout, so this constant panning left and right can stop...it's ******ed. I can flip over to menu's when I need them...it's the content I am after. And this does not affect display on regular PC's in any fashion.

Seriously that is my biggest issue with almost every site dedicated the NIT's they seem to have zero clue that it might be nice if they developed their sites so they actually work well on a tablet display.

All that needs done is to detect the details from the browser and use a style sheet for that platform & browser. Not like it's not an unknown factor.

Last edited by brecklundin; 2008-02-21 at 07:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to brecklundin For This Useful Post:
Maximize use of space. Useless huge pictures at the top, like on this site, are a major PITA. They take up an entire page for nothing. Pictures, especially large ones, are more trouble than they will ever be worth. Make sure the page reflows at any resolution or zoom. Keep the ads unobtrusive. I realize they're inevitable, but I hate them anyway, and if they get in the way of browsing, I'll just go elsewhere.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by mwhatch View Post
What would you like to see in a website optmized for the IT's?. Are there any good ones out there?
http://www.jablet.net

I've often wondered why "Thanks" and "Quote" look so huge on www.internettablettalk.com. Does anyone else have this problem?

Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
Maximize use of space. Useless huge pictures at the top, like on this site, are a major PITA. They take up an entire page for nothing. Pictures, especially large ones, are more trouble than they will ever be worth.
Yes, or, failing that, be like this site (or, I presume, any vBulletin), and use sane CSS so it can be overridden with local CSS. itT is quite tablet- and even finger-friendly, when CSSed up right. Of course, it's anyones guess why that's not provided in the CSS switcher, instead of hack your own, but it works anyway.

Reflowing text is not such a big deal, imho, just have your font sane to start with. I have no difficulty reading almost any site; it's navigating that gets rough, and that can be fixed in CSS if the site was designed sanely to start with.

(Anyone trying to make local CSS should try desktop Opera and its "Developer Console" for editing CSS on-the-fly.)

Originally Posted by twinsfan View Post
I've often wondered why "Thanks" and "Quote" look so huge on www.internettablettalk.com. Does anyone else have this problem?
Without a screenshot, it's hard to know what "so huge" is, but it sounds like you may have "Fit width to view" on. It trashes images.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
http://nytimesriver.com/

One of my favorite bookmarks on the n810. Thank you Dave Winer.

This website, while not specifically made for what you are talking about does have potential to replace some of my internet browswing

http://feedjournal.com/index.html

it allows you to put in your rss feeds, and it will download them and put them in newspaper format in pdf. So it is much easier to read on the built in pdf reader.

I havent really given it a full go in my nokia n800, but it seems to work fine on my computer so far.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Without a screenshot, it's hard to know what "so huge" is, but it sounds like you may have "Fit width to view" on. It trashes images.
Thanks, "Fit width to view" was my problem. And sorry I did not include screenshots, I still need to figure out how to do those.