Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I usually don't use maps the way that all the GPS programs assume. I live at my home address, and I already know how to get to the grocery store, the gas station, and the local cafe.

I like to read books. When Sherlock Holmes is going down King William Street (I just made that up, apologies to King William if there is such a street) I want to know exactly where it is. I don't want driving directions to King William Street -- I just want a &*() map showing where it is and where the other main streets around it are.

I have in general found the mapping programs pretty bad when you try to use them for that purpose.

What do people use when all they have is their N900 and they just want to track a character in a novel, or, for that matter, see where there was a shoot-out in the news?

Google Maps is just the thing, if only they had a mobile version for Maemo... or install NITdroid ? :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
I use Ovi maps, and use the search function, which comes back with something like "sorry this service is not currently available" and then I fling my N900 across the room and curse Nokia. Or, if I am abroad and don't want to pay for Ovi Maps to download a load of data for no apparent reason and still fail to carry out a successful search despite all the maps being loaded onto the device, then I don't even attempt the search before flinging the N900 across the room and cursing Nokia.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to col37400 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
Have you tried ModRana?
Of course, you will have to download map tiles before you can use it, in any program. When Points-Of-Interest functionality will be added, you will be able to "bookmark" some places, like the home address of a character.
There is also NavIt, vector map.
Mappero.
CloudGPS.
The list of mapping software is large and growing.

OVI Maps on the N900 by default is what you want. If you don't figure out how to search, there's something wrong with your head.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
In case you didn't know, the search function on Ovi Maps is BROKEN.Most times it returns "function is not available, please try again later". If it works for you all the time then count yourself lucky.

I don't use Ovi Maps that often (have in-car sat-nav). But I have never had any problems with it when I tried it. Are you using Pr1.2? have you downloaded the maps, or do you have a good connection?

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
I use the search on Ovi Maps all the time as I need to go to various cities with my job. I like to have a look at where i'm staying, It works perfectly for me every time. If it doesn't work for you, count yourself unlucky, but please don't assume it's broken for everyone!

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick reply...
Have you tried ModRana?
Of course, you will have to download map tiles before you can use it, in any program. When Points-Of-Interest functionality will be added, you will be able to "bookmark" some places, like the home address of a character.
There is also NavIt, vector map.
Mappero.
CloudGPS.
The list of mapping software is large and growing.
Thanks for listing programs, but I don't need a list. I have tried them. Thanks for letting me know that there is a long list. That doesn't help. I already know that.

I will take another look at ModRana.

Originally Posted by bsving View Post
OVI Maps on the N900 by default is what you want. If you don't figure out how to search, there's something wrong with your head.
So, are you a psychiatrist?

Are you saying that you have used OVI maps on the N900 for the purpose of following the movements of someone who isn't at the GPS location and it works great for you?

It is probably the program I have most used for this purpose, but it's not fully satisfactory to me.

Actually, maybe Mappero has worked best for me.

Can you focus in on the psychological ailment I must have? I can search, but it doesn't work efficiently for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post: