Active Topics

For now I will not reflash because it works fine and some of my configuration are still here, so, maybe in the future

Thank you all, 5 hours ago I was very close to buy a new phone, but now everything is back to normal (almost )!!

Originally Posted by Orsobirra View Post
For now I will not reflash because it works fine and some of my configuration are still here, so, maybe in the future

Thank you all, 5 hours ago I was very close to buy a new phone, but now everything is back to normal (almost )!!

Seriously? You just hosed /opt? While your device appears kinda ok now you have just shafted it. You MUST reflash or things are just going to get brokenerer as time goes on. The reason you still have some settings is because you only flashed rootfs. You need to do both rootfs & emmc. Now use you semi working device to bak up all you can; go back and try again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Once you have done the reflash, if you have any problems afterwards there's a section in the wiki that that advises fiashing the rootfs first and then the EMMC followed by the rootfs again. Don't usr the -R switch at the end of the command on the first 2 flashes. It may also be a good idea to NOT restore a full backup in case you restore some corrupted settings. Just restore communication and contact settings

And just for the record. It's virtually impossible to kill your N900 unless you physically smash it or sink it in a bucket of water. I've seen them brought back to life from some of the worst situations.

Last edited by stickymick; 2012-04-13 at 07:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Seriously? You just hosed /opt?
I did..not knowing what I was really doing...

Well, for now seems ok, but, I'm not an expert (I just proved it), so I will do what you're saying.

Two questions:
-where can I find the internal backup made from N900?

-is this the procedure? http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_t...MC_in_the_N900 ---> http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_t...ftware_Updater

Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Once you have done the reflash, if you have any problems afterwards there's a section in the wiki that that advises fiashing the rootfs first and then the EMMC followed by the rootfs again. Don't usr the -R switch at the end of the command on the first 2 flashes. It may also be a good idea to NOT restore a full backup in case you restore some corrupted settings. Just restore communication and contact settings
thanks for the tips

(by the way my N900 is totally fine now, I've reinstalled almost anything, CSSU and Power Kernel too, but I'm going anyway to reflash as you say)

Last edited by Orsobirra; 2012-04-13 at 07:26.

Posts: 518 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ italy
Sorry for that! I'm a little bit newbie here
I'm not so good in english (and forum) and I don't really understand what you mean with "to cross post"

By the way, all seems fine now.
I've restore the backup that I've done (not without problems becouse of broken interface) before the flashing, and now I'm reinstalling all app.

Do you recommend anyway to flash with Vanilla image and reflash rootfs? Does it help with booting time?

Thanks
i mean "postare piu contenuti contemporaneamente, esiste il tasto modifica messaggio per aggiungere/rimuovere eventualità"

internal backups are in the media mmc you selected before to make a backup. if you saveed the backup to N900, it will be under the folder backup, else in the mmc in the /media/mmc1 path.

Last edited by santiago; 2012-04-13 at 13:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to santiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
I've read somewhere in this forum that I must type this command in terminal "rm -rf /opt/* " to free some opt space
You now really want to add a comment to that forum thread that this advice is nothing to recommend. EVER.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I agree with Andre, and as this is (i think) the third "**** after rm -rf /opt/*" thread I see, please point the thread where it was posted to a moderator so that we prevent more of these incidents.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
You now really want to add a comment to that forum thread that this advice is nothing to recommend. EVER.
For the N900 this is akin to deleting the system32 directory on the PC. I too would like to see the post that recommends doing this step.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Accompanied by some self-education on the subject of the command line, I hope.

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
As far as I can search that "advice" was posted by MohammadAG (no less , but in a very specific context (clearing up leftovers in /opt after reflashing only the rootfs).

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50821

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post: