Posts: 11 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
G'day there, I know there are plenty of other Sygic threads, however, this one may be of interest to others in AU/NZ, who are not catered to by Sygic, with an off-the-shelf product.

I have achieved success with getting Sygic MM10 + AU/NZ maps to integrate and work effectively, through the purchase of two separate Sygic products. (I am aware of other methods of obtaining the software, however, it is not exactly legal, so I went about it the ethical way).

Firstly, I bought Maemo SMM10 - Canada (the cheapest option) and installed it all, then activated the Canadian maps.

Secondly, I bought the Android SMM10 AU/NZ package.

Once I had unzipped the SMM10 AU/NZ files onto my laptop, I connected my N900 via 'Mass Storage Mode' and copied the 'Maps' files - AU & NZ folders, as well as the SMM10 Australia & New Zealand.mlm file into the 'Maps' folder in my N900 root drive.

I held my breath and did a reboot and ran the Sygic MM10 program. I went to the 'Maps' icon in the program and switched to the SMM10 AU/NZ map, activated it and all is working 100%.

I'm very pleased with the outcome, however, am disappointed that Sygic is not providing a solution - off the bat - at a fair rate for end users from AU/NZ.

Disclaimer: I cannot explain it any better than how I have and I cannot provide any assistance, other than what I have already posted, so I'm not guaranteeing it will work for anybody else, nor can I assist with any fault-finding if it doesn't work for others, as I simply do not know how to.

However, if you want to have a crack at it, you may do so in the knowledge that a complete hack has been able to get it to function correctly.

I would also imagine that it would work with other map-sets - I do recall a recent thread where Israel map packages were discussed.

cheers

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to macca33 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
I refuse to buy two apps just to use one !! good work tho

I certainly know what you mean mate and I was of the same opinion, however, I NEEDED to know if it would work and have no other option, thus, ended up where I did.

Hopefully Sygic come to the party and release the package for AU/NZ. I'm lucky to be able to navigate through my N900, so for those experts, it isn't rocket science!

cheers

Quick update - I've been running the program over the past two days, covered about 450km with mostly country and town driving and it has been faultless.

cheers

I have also got the Australian Maps working on Sygic, but have you noticed that the Nokia Bluetooth GPS does not work with Sygic after the second time you load Sygic up?

Originally Posted by macca33 View Post
G'day there, I know there are plenty of other Sygic threads, however, this one may be of interest to others in AU/NZ, who are not catered to by Sygic, with an off-the-shelf product.

I have achieved success with getting Sygic MM10 + AU/NZ maps to integrate and work effectively, through the purchase of two separate Sygic products. (I am aware of other methods of obtaining the software, however, it is not exactly legal, so I went about it the ethical way).

Firstly, I bought Maemo SMM10 - Canada (the cheapest option) and installed it all, then activated the Canadian maps.

Secondly, I bought the Android SMM10 AU/NZ package.

Once I had unzipped the SMM10 AU/NZ files onto my laptop, I connected my N900 via 'Mass Storage Mode' and copied the 'Maps' files - AU & NZ folders, as well as the SMM10 Australia & New Zealand.mlm file into the 'Maps' folder in my N900 root drive.

I held my breath and did a reboot and ran the Sygic MM10 program. I went to the 'Maps' icon in the program and switched to the SMM10 AU/NZ map, activated it and all is working 100%.

I'm very pleased with the outcome, however, am disappointed that Sygic is not providing a solution - off the bat - at a fair rate for end users from AU/NZ.

Disclaimer: I cannot explain it any better than how I have and I cannot provide any assistance, other than what I have already posted, so I'm not guaranteeing it will work for anybody else, nor can I assist with any fault-finding if it doesn't work for others, as I simply do not know how to.

However, if you want to have a crack at it, you may do so in the knowledge that a complete hack has been able to get it to function correctly.

I would also imagine that it would work with other map-sets - I do recall a recent thread where Israel map packages were discussed.

cheers

Not certain what you mean there mate. I just start the Sygic application, the GPS locates the satellites and away we go. I have disabled Assisted-GPS / Network assistance on my N900, so it is all run with the internal GPS.

Is there something that I'm missing?

cheers

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
I refuse to buy two apps just to use one !! good work tho
Couldn't agree more, they should forget about Navteq Map Data for Maemo and sell it with the existing Map data they are already selling for other platforms.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sydney
FWIW, I have been using AU/NZ map with MM10. The MM10, like MM9, was installed via a repo, which is practically free:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=815580&postcount=1

A little bit more details from myself here too:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=11

Macca33

Just a question.

Your Canada and AU/NZ maps are both from Navteq or is AU/NZ from Teleatlas ?

Sacal, as far as I'm aware - from the Sygic site - the AU/NZ maps are from Navteq.

The Following User Says Thank You to macca33 For This Useful Post: