Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
No more limited than playing with a tablet right now.
True! I was trying to convince myself, I think - damn!

But the RX-51 is supposed to be a phone, the tablets at the moment are designed to be tablets, the phones are phones.
My point was saying have a look at this new phone, but you can't use it as a phone, seems a little strange.
It would make more sense if it was a tablet, as you can make full use of that, but there again this is blurring the tablet/phone worlds.

Last edited by deadmalc; 2009-08-14 at 13:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to deadmalc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nwerneck View Post
Any chance the Rover might come with a Haptikos touchscreen?
If anything that would be great. Better than capacitive for me, but haven't heard even any rumours of it having it.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
Since this is going to be the flag ship of Nokia high-end devices will it have a respectable Office suite? And by this I don't think about the clumsy OOo.org port from Debian. I'm thinking of a set of tools that are specifically developed for a handheld devices, such as Quickoffice, or M$ office. In order to be a successful N-series device, it has to have that, as well as powerful set of PIM tools, which both lacked on previous NITs.
And how about the latest news that M$ and Nokia entered a partnership, regarding bringing the M$ Office suite to Nokia high-end phones, such as E-series and probably N-series? Will rx-51 have M$ office?

The Following User Says Thank You to nowave7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by nowave7 View Post
Will rx-51 have M$ office?
The device hasn't been announced yet, why would Nokia announce what third party software will ship with, or run on, it?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
Ahh... I wasn't being serious of course! But it is something to think about.

The Following User Says Thank You to nowave7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
True! I was trying to convince myself, I think - damn!

But the RX-51 is supposed to be a phone, the tablets at the moment are designed to be tablets, the phones are phones.
My point was saying have a look at this new phone, but you can't use it as a phone, seems a little strange.
It would make more sense if it was a tablet, as you can make full use of that, but there again this is blurring the tablet/phone worlds.
There doesn't have to be a barrier there between tablet and phone. Look at how many devices phones have absorbed over the years. Did you have the same problem when phones added cameras? How about media players? GPS units?

The definition of what a phone is and does is being redefined constantly. Maemo is one of the platforms trying to really push phones into the "multimedia computer" term that Nokia's been trying to use for their phones for years.

With the tablets... and this new device... I think they may have really done it this time.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by nowave7 View Post
Since this is going to be the flag ship of Nokia high-end devices will it have a respectable Office suite? And by this I don't think about the clumsy OOo.org port from Debian. I'm thinking of a set of tools that are specifically developed for a handheld devices, such as Quickoffice, or M$ office. In order to be a successful N-series device, it has to have that, as well as powerful set of PIM tools, which both lacked on previous NITs.
And how about the latest news that M$ and Nokia entered a partnership, regarding bringing the M$ Office suite to Nokia high-end phones, such as E-series and probably N-series? Will rx-51 have M$ office?
I agree that a proper office package is needed. That said, I'd love to see a proper mobile version of OO, since I use that on my desktop anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
There doesn't have to be a barrier there between tablet and phone. Look at how many devices phones have absorbed over the years. Did you have the same problem when phones added cameras? How about media players? GPS units?

The definition of what a phone is and does is being redefined constantly. Maemo is one of the platforms trying to really push phones into the "multimedia computer" term that Nokia's been trying to use for their phones for years.

With the tablets... and this new device... I think they may have really done it this time.
I suppose it depends your definition of tablet. I would see this as a larger device, at the moment - one that targets ease of internet use.
But there again phone sizes have changed from the brick's of the 80's.
I guess it is getting confusing now, or certainly it seems for me!

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm not sure how you're seeing it as a larger device when we already know it's going to be smaller than the N810.

Tags
n900, nokia, pictures, rx-51, specification