Notices

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Cambridge/London
It's just it's out by a few miles for me, where as the geotags on the photos (taken at the same location) are about a house out...strictly speaking the parish boundary is wrong, but it's close enough.

So anyone else noticed this? (Or have this problem...)

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Errm... so what are thes steps here? You refer to "My location" in the Instant Messaging status?

There are two pieces of information - the mobile phone cell that you are booked into, plus the real GPS data.
Also see https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6284 .

Yes the location in the instant messaging status... my gmail location alters when 'my location' alters under 'my availability'. Which is set to street level.

Even when at my desk here, in rural Cambs, the postal town is often displayed, and a couple of villages between here and the postal town which is some 6 miles away, the villages being some 3 or 4 miles away.

I bought some data from virgin mobile yesterday (I'm normally a 3 user so have not had much of a chance to use the cell, so it's based on the wifi...so I'll see if it does the same odd behaviour on the cell.)

The point is the camera geo tag is very close to accurate...even when my messaging status is off by miles, the cameras geotag is 1 house number off, and the village being off by yards due to a Parish boundary in close proximity,so maybe even a cartographical error rather than a GPS issue. As it puts me on the map in the right place, just is slightly wrong on the address.

Does that make it clearer?

Seems to be more a wifi glitch. Once I went out of my wifi hotspot and was on 2G/3G -- I was tracked fairly cleanly by both the camera geo tagging results and the location evident in 'friend status' updates.

Oddly the map was spot on as well.