Active Topics

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Spain
Beginning of spring in Spain, temperatures are raising up and my Finnish phone seems to dislike that. Weird thing since Finn girls use to love our beaches. Jolla may be a boy.

Browsing with Webcat, sensor 0 has raised 53C degrees and Jolla has warned me: I'm getting hot and going to close all apps or even shutdown myself. And so it happened. This is the script I'm using to check temps:

Code:
REFRESH=2; while :; do cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp; sleep $REFRESH; clear; done
(You can change REFRESH value, in seconds. Select a bigger font in Fingerterm to check temperature from the cover. Some day in the future I will make an app to check CPU, RAM, network and temperature values).

That's really disturbing. What's going to happen in July, when Hell arrives here at the South and temperatures raise up to 30-40C? That 53C frontier is going to be reached very easily. Is this a physical limit for Snapdragon SoCs or it's just Jolla engineers were playing too safe?

P.S.: N900 never suffered that.

The Following User Says Thank You to mced For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by mced View Post
That's really disturbing. What's going to happen in July, when Hell arrives here at the South and temperatures raise up to 30-40C? That 53C frontier is going to be reached very easily. Is this a physical limit for Snapdragon SoCs or it's just Jolla engineers were playing too safe?
It's time to design a Fan TOH

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Are you sure the weather has something to do with it? Surely many people used it indoors in the winter, at room temperatures in mid 20s, and still more people keep their phones in pockets, where temperature can well exceed 30°C and ventilation is pretty much non-existent.

Mmmmm... stop calling me "Shirley".

It's the weather and some heavy CPU usage. Did I say heavy? Webcat's engine (Webkit, if I'm not wrong) could not be the most efficient: Gecko seems to be lighter. But I don't think browsing is a task that should overheat processors. Just text, images and scripts. No Flash, nor HTML5 complex pages.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ chioggia
i check the same problem....my jolla become hot too, expecially when i play to clash of clans (android games) and battery dray become very fast!!!!

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
my phone turns yellow when hot, good indicator

Still dealing with this issue. More hot days here and my Jolla is doing well, without shutdowns. Like other people had said here on TMO, now I guess it's related to poor GSM signal. So it's the GSM chip, and not the CPU/GPU, who is getting hot when trying to reach a somewhat far antenna.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
my phone turns yellow when hot, good indicator
how did you do that?

63C while compiling an app and no shutdowns.

/me gives a sigh of relief.