Hi,

I saw that n900 have an IR port who supports CIR with Irreco. But what the hardware exactly is? The wiki says "Infra Red Port". That not so precise... Does it support irDA? And, if yes, why is not IR receiver ? It seems that drivers supports both receiver and transmitter

Thanks

Guyome

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by Guyome View Post
Hi,

I saw that n900 have an IR port who supports CIR with Irreco. But what the hardware exactly is? The wiki says "Infra Red Port". That not so precise... Does it support irDA? And, if yes, why is not IR receiver ? It seems that drivers supports both receiver and transmitter

Thanks

Guyome
Possibly they only have an Infrared LED in it so nothing to receive the incoming signal? It would make sense considering the size and lack of use nowadays for infra red for incoming.

Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
It is transmit only.. CIR I believe.. not IRDA.. you can't use it to receive IR signals, but you can use it to change the channel on your TV

Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
It would make sense considering the size and lack of use nowadays for infra red for incoming.
You're right, but there is even less usage for transmitter... Besides remote control, what are other usage of a IR transmitter. That's why I'm questioning on irDA since one can tweak irDA to send CIR.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
You're right, but there is even less usage for transmitter... Besides remote control, what are other usage of a IR transmitter.
Perhaps in your humble opinion, but it might be different for others. I can use my N900 to remote control digital cameras, tv/dvd/homestereos and the mediaplayer of my notebook (which has only an IR receiver!)
So why shouldn't this be enough?

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I wish it was a bit more powerful though.. Like most of the times I have to get pretty close to the projector/tv.. etc in order for me to change the channel/input/volume.. etc...

Is there any script to increase it's strength? Kind of like the FM Transmitter script?

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
You're right, but there is even less usage for transmitter... Besides remote control, what are other usage of a IR transmitter. That's why I'm questioning on irDA since one can tweak irDA to send CIR.
If there is only a transmitter in the hardware, then you won't be able to make it do IrDA, even if you only wished to send files. IrDA needs a receiver in order to do various handshaking.