Active Topics

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Leon, Spain
Tried to update my N900 via NSU (intention was to reapply same firmware, because "hard reset" does not show anywhere and some things didn't work).

BRICKED my 600€ "not-a-phone"

Lost some heartbeats.

Read this thread. Looked into wiki,

Flashed with flasher-3.5

Started breathing again.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Folks, in 95% of the cases you can reflash your device, if actually really following the instructions (which seems to be the major problem for some folks).

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Well, what can I say. Got the same problem. Thou I thought about it might be a battery issue, so i left the charger in for over night. So when I saw all of you solving it with full battery, I sobbed down to the store to send it for repair.
But faith had it I met my friend at the door, he got 5800, stole his phone for a minute, used 10 to charge his battery full, swiched, and voila. I never would have guessed the N900 didn't charge the battery on it's own, but now it does, and my heartattack finally stopped
Thanks to all of you, I might not be a superuser like many of you (at least like I think you are), but it's a damn nice phone and I love it! And you helped me from dying a slow and painful 3-4 weeks repair time wait.

just bricked N900 doing the latest update via Nokia sofware update. it stayed at 1 sec remaining for hrs in vista 64bit. only after that i noticed 64bit machines have another NSU program,, damn,,,

does n900 charge its-own if i connect to power outlet on a bricked device? now its just the nokia name on screen and restarting , now yellow light blinks , so i guess its not charging the battery. and the bad thing is i dont have a friend with nokia 5800

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by mukks View Post
does n900 charge its-own if i connect to power outlet on a bricked device? now its just the nokia name on screen and restarting , now yellow light blinks , so i guess its not charging the battery. and the bad thing is i dont have a friend with nokia 5800
If the display shows the nokia logo (without backlight) and the LED is pulsing yellow, then it should be charging. If it's repeatedly rebooting and vibrating, then it's not charging properly.

If you don't know anyone with a compatible phone, then you can pick up a desktop charger cheap from ebay.

it shows the yellow blink only when i connect,, n it keeps rebooting n vibrating,, so i guess i must get my battery charged first,,

Originally Posted by mukks View Post
just bricked N900 doing the latest update via Nokia sofware update. it stayed at 1 sec remaining for hrs ...
I'm having the same problem. Given that there's no other charging point for the phone, I assumed it being plugged in would be fine, as it should be no different to being plugged in at the wall.

Anyway my N900 is now BRICKED too. Very NOT HAPPY.

Now it just sits there vibrating every 15 seconds, with the NOKIA logo in the background.,

Thanks a ****ing heap Nokia for making an update that's RUINED my phone.

It still escapes me how everyone else seems to be able to make updates that aren't so fragile, except Nokia. If there had been a warning such as "Warning! We don't know what we're doing" then maybe I wouldn't have clicked update. Garbage

Also WTF is with it not being able to charge itself? WTF? Get a 5800 to swap batteries with and charge that to continue the update? The ****?

I take it that this has nothing to do with the new firmware itself and is just happening via NSU update? I had a similar issues with a previous update and NSU just hanged on me for ages an bricked the n900. But i got it up an running again.
I think folk who are having issues may have the repositories for extra devel etc on, these shud be disabled.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
FYI, I was following this thread and got some good info.

Using Win7 and updater v1.8, here's what happened. (and no, my phone is not bricked)

1. started NSU and it went as normal
2. paused at 1 second left in step 3.
2 a. progress bar was still going, and program was responding, but nothing moved.
3. quit NSU manually via task manager
4. it prompted me to wait until it could safely finish the update, and press continue when it became available.
5. unplugged & plugged in again
6. repeat of step 3 and 4
7. the button showed up, my phone started as usual, and the regional settings appeared.
8. phone works

I have no idea how all of that made my phone work again, but I'm happy I don't have to throw it at the nokia team in complete irony making some sort of comparison to being useless.

anyway.. hope that helps.

Reflashed it and backed up .. good i made backup just before updating.
its the NSU and 64bit machine thats screwing up things,, thanks guys..

Tags
lack of quality control