Posts: 203 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Austria
Since I have my N900, I dont need to take my notebook with me because there is already a mobile computer in my poket.
Yes, its not a perfekt phone, but actually no phone is perfekt.
When my N900 would die, I would buy a new one.
hth

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If you are just worried about the charging problem, buy an external charger and a couple of spare batteries. Using that reduces the wear on your usb port to a tremendous amount and is more convenient in general.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
I love my N900, but I have been missing the SatNav (Ovi) capabilities of my old Nokia X6 so much of late that I bought a second-hand one and loaded SPB Mobile Shell to make a poor man's N8.

What a culture shock!

As others have highlighted above, Symbian 60 has huge limitations compared to N900, not least being a lack of speed.

That said, Mobile Shell does give the Old Gal a new lease of life and makes the UI hugely enjoyable to use - surprisingly snappy and easy to configure.

The biggest disappointments for me (aside from obvious things like lack of HW keyboard, speed and multitasking) was the return to a small screen size (same as N8 and E7...) and strange as it may sound, a lack of useable and distinctive apps.

Symbian has plenty of games, if that's your thing, and Gravity is pretty good for Social Networking, but Witter eclipses it and shows far more potential, even if it is only for Twitter.

In fact, the biggest thing(s) I'd miss from N900 are the Community-built apps that allow you to take full advantage of the hardware: like using the LED's as a torch by sliding the shutter open, using the cam. focus to snap between open apps, using AbiWord to finish an overdue letter, and BlessN900 to capture the sunset in full HDR detail.

I can't imagine life without these simple, but now essential apps.

N900 is not about Nokia any more; it's not about PR1.3 or even dual booting Meego. It's about what we CAN do RIGHT NOW.

This is a legendary, landmark device and sometimes we forget to enjoy the view from the hill we have climbed.

Last edited by NokTokDaddy; 2010-10-16 at 18:15.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You have a right to be scared about the charger issue... and I feel as if it's a mixed blessing to have a removable battery - yes, you can remove it, charge it that way (a plus) but you have to buy an external charger for it and you can't use your phone while it's charging (a negative).

I, for one, couldn't keep a phone that for periods of time per day - the battery life on the N900 is on the shorter end of the spectrum too - that I cannot answer nor make telephone calls. That's really unacceptable.

And that I have to go out and buy an external charger for my house, car, probably office or carry it around with me at all places and nobody's mentioned if there is any wear and tear on removing your battery latch/back part once/twice/thrice a day to charge a phone... seriously, that is as cumbersome of a workaround as you could get. Might as well get a different phone at that rate if that scares you.

I also have the Captivate, AT&T variant of the Samsung Galaxy S... it's a good phone; just not great. Missing the hardware keyboard, but feeling secure its microUSB, it also has a removable battery, but has only a virtual keyboard. Swype makes up for it not having a physical keyboard, quite a bit actually; but the N900 still wins in that aspect.

As the others in the thread have stated, your other phone choices leave plenty to be desired; read: avoid them.

Albeit a "legendary", "awesome", "best ever" device, the N900's microUSB problem is not easily overlooked and if you have concerns, I'd suggest looking elsewhere and obtain your refund if you can.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You have a right to be scared about the charger issue... and I feel as if it's a mixed blessing to have a removable battery - yes, you can remove it, charge it that way (a plus) but you have to buy an external charger for it and you can't use your phone while it's charging (a negative).

I, for one, couldn't keep a phone that for periods of time per day - the battery life on the N900 is on the shorter end of the spectrum too - that I cannot answer nor make telephone calls. That's really unacceptable.

And that I have to go out and buy an external charger for my house, car, probably office or carry it around with me at all places and nobody's mentioned if there is any wear and tear on removing your battery latch/back part once/twice/thrice a day to charge a phone... seriously, that is as cumbersome of a workaround as you could get. Might as well get a different phone at that rate if that scares you.

I also have the Captivate, AT&T variant of the Samsung Galaxy S... it's a good phone; just not great. Missing the hardware keyboard, but feeling secure its microUSB, it also has a removable battery, but has only a virtual keyboard. Swype makes up for it not having a physical keyboard, quite a bit actually; but the N900 still wins in that aspect.

As the others in the thread have stated, your other phone choices leave plenty to be desired; read: avoid them.

Albeit a "legendary", "awesome", "best ever" device, the N900's microUSB problem is not easily overlooked and if you have concerns, I'd suggest looking elsewhere and obtain your refund if you can.
This is trumped-up BS. You do have to pay about $10 for the charger. "You can't use the phone while you're charging" is just false if you buy a few batteries, as I suggested in the message you are responding to.

And why do you have to buy all those chargers and I don't? I find that one is plenty. Of course, paying another $10 or even $20 would be cheap.

As for the wear in opening the case, it's about as much of a problem as opening your refrigerator door. Actually, less.

I've been doing this with Nokia tablets for years without problems. How much experience do you have trying this solution? I suspect zero, judging from the objections you raised.

how many more of these idiotic threads will there be

every other day some new ***** asks the same stupid question

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
The n900 sucks at anything other than looking at web pages and sending out text/chat messages.

Mobile computer my ***.

I'm jumping ship to WP7 and I've been suggesting everyone I know to do the same.

at the end maybe Bada samsung

Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
The n900 sucks at anything other than looking at web pages and sending out text/chat messages.
Really? It works great for many "computer-ish" tasks that I use it for.

I'm jumping ship to WP7 and I've been suggesting everyone I know to do the same.
Indeed, nothing like jumping head first into Microsoft's version of iOS, complete with all the lock down it entails. Certainly, MS doesn't want you using a WP7 device as a mobile computer. You have fun in Microsoft's walled garden

The external charger and batteries thing is not a permanent solution as I found to my detriment. First it is very frustrating having to change batteries everyday. Some may not mind but I got really tired of it. More importantly what if the usb port finally dies? With the N900 it is almost certain you will need to reflash at some point. I was using the external charger and spare batteries for three months but then I bricked my device. If I was out of warranty I would have been left with a $625 brick.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:

Tags
faulty usb, microusb