Posts: 67 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Bahamas
has any one seen this as yet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKhW-...layer_embedded

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrbiggzz79 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
The point with Kinect isn't the hardware - it's the software. The hardware is little more than a web cam and infrared emitter/detector for depth and 4 microphones for directional sound. The question is how does the Xbox interpret that information to skeletal mapping, facial recognition, voice control, etc...

I purchased one on the 4th and I'm still amazed at what it does.

The Following User Says Thank You to theflew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
The point with Kinect isn't the hardware - it's the software. The hardware is little more than a web cam and infrared emitter/detector for depth and 4 microphones for directional sound. The question is how does the Xbox interpret that information to skeletal mapping, facial recognition, voice control, etc...

I purchased one on the 4th and I'm still amazed at what it does.
How is "the point" of kinect only to do what Microsoft says you can, paying for their software? Kinect is Microsoft's trademark, it's their way to use the hardware. But it's just one possible use.
This driver is the direct result of a prize being offered for the first open source driver for Kinect hardware, and the value of the prize was actually increased thanks to Microsoft's ridiculous statement:
"With Kinect, Microsoft built in numerous hardware and software safeguards designed to reduce the chances of product tampering. Microsoft will continue to make advances in these types of safeguards and work closely with law enforcement and product safety groups to keep Kinect tamper-resistant."

So, yeah, you can play the crap launch titles if you want... I really didn't see any reason to buy this yet, if you only want games, same with the PlayStation move, or the Wii for that matter.
I think it's more interesting to get hardware capable of serving as the eyes and ears of a cheap robot for $150. Maybe it can do my dishes?

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2010-11-10 at 21:48.