Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
IMO, I would just do dynamic swapspace and let things sort out by themselves. Sadly, I believe the version of Jolla's btrfs seems to have problems with swap files.
All versions of btrfs have problem with swap files:
Does btrfs support swap files?

Currently no. Just making a file NOCOW does not help, swap file support relies on one function that btrfs intentionally does not implement due to potential corruptions. The swap implementation used to rely on some assumptions which may not hold in btrfs, like block numbers in the swap file while btrfs has a different block number mapping in case of multiple devices. There is a new API that could be used to port swap to btrfs; for more details have a look at project ideas#Swap file support.

A workaround, albeit with poor performance, is to mount a swap file via a loop device.
It's more or less an extension of btrfs not handling files with a lot of random access (such as database files) very well & not being able to provide block devices. So if you want to add more swap you would have to place it somewhere outside of the bloc devices btrfs lives on.

On the other hand if the LVM2 + thin pool + EXT4/XFS combo was used instead of btrfs,
you would get much of the benefits of btrfs (COW snapshots, space allocation from a pool, etc.)
and you could just easily create a new logical volume in the volume group and use that for swap.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Patchidea:
The Pulldown menu with our 3 (or 7) apps is only visible if we are in locked screen.... why not in app cards view?

another one:
if we stay in app card view, swipe from left to right we landing to events view.... why not swipe from right to left and we get the settings page with our fav toggles, brightness and more

and one more:
if we are in locked screen, there is only a pulldown menu... here we can put a pullup menu and open the settings page too.

The Following User Says Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Awesome to have 2.0 ui in action now
I really love the progression made.

- double tap to wake up recognized faster taps and works better, fade in is beautifull.
- recognition of "top down swipe" to bring the ambiance switcher/locker has improved to me.
- browser is sped up by ~50%
- The fading notifications on top look gorgeous!
- Multitasking use advanced through app-switcher always being available but regressed by not being able to have notificationw with one swipe. (configurable via settings thou )
- I do reallize that i missed a taskbar/signal icons all the time. Fine to have it now.
- Appdrawer and ambiance switcher available from Lockscreen is a bliss!
- Pushing the appdrawer away like an app is improving the flow to me.
- Android apps start a little slower sometimes but seem more responsive when started up

But what i really missconcepted was the function of the ambiance switcher / locker. To me it screams to be a giant pulley menu that locks or switches ambiance instantly when released at corresponding scroll position, not waiting for an extra button press please!

EDIT, Just found the gesture settings and activated both.
Now it is perfect to me... Close app from top swipe, switch to home from right, notifcations from left, apps from bottom. consistantly, always. i love it, thanks Jolla.

Last edited by mosen; 2015-09-08 at 12:12.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
hmm, I upgraded and I like the new UX compared to the previous version, I find it more harmattan/swipe-ui like (:

However, there are certain things I would like it to be changed/configurable.

1. I wish I could do a pinch-to-zoom in task view so it is possible to have bigger cards when there are more than 4 tasks (since we can now scroll through the cards so having it is nice.
2. tasks are not sorted in last-recently-used order, which is quite troublesome IMHO :S
3. why move ambiance to settings?!
4. speaking of ambiance, erm, can we have the switcher (edge scroll from top) have behaviour similar to pulley menu? so I don't have to do an extra click to the lock icon/entry

I know there are patches for 1 and 4, but I still hope it is revised when 1.2.x is finally released (2 months from now?).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey04 For This Useful Post:
but new version isnt released for early adopters yet...or i miss somethg? how to update?

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
how to update?
- make sure your device got btrfs balanced recently
- disable all openrepos
- disable all patches

Then you might concider to ssh into your jolla, become root and set your ssu release to 1.1.9.28. Than do a version --dup to update and reboot afterwards

Totally at your own risc of cause

Originally Posted by Jeffrey04 View Post
4. speaking of ambiance, erm, can we have the switcher (edge scroll from top) have behaviour similar to pulley menu? so I don't have to do an extra click to the lock icon/entry
Exactly what i also want
Took the time and filed a request @ TJC

Last edited by mosen; 2015-09-08 at 14:49.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post

- double tap to wake up recognized faster taps and works better, fade in is beautifull.

But what i really missconcepted was the function of the ambiance switcher / locker. To me it screams to be a giant pulley menu that locks or switches ambiance instantly when released at corresponding scroll position, not waiting for an extra button press please!
I think it's terrible as you can't immediately check time and have to wait LONG for the clock to appear... Usability over visual fidelity any day of the year. I absolutely hate this change and hope they speed it up or give an option to remove the fade in...

Even worse, when I'm working, the wait time looks so long as if I was reading a message rather than just checking time. Gives the impression I'm slacking on work.

Pulley menu for lock/ambiences wouldn't work if you have more than 4 and they stack in the bottom.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parasemic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by parasemic View Post
I think it's terrible as you can't immediately check time and have to wait LONG for the clock to appear...
You mean, they made it even worse than it is now? I find faffing around with the peek gesture just to check the time so cumbersome (compared to having a tiny status bar N900 or N9 style) that I found TOHOLED an absolutely invaluable piece of kit. I thought that I would put it in the drawer as soon as I receive my TOHKBD but after a week of trying, I ended up the other way around. I can live without a hardware keyboard if I try hard enough but not having a constant and immediate access to the vital information such as the current time, battery level and signal strength would be a show-stopper.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
@parasemic
I ment the double click ratio being recognized has increased. I can double tap much faster now and still unlock where i had problems on previous releases and needed to tap again slower. thats gone and totally reliable now.

The clock fades in too late occasionally, you are right.
But most of the time the clock is presented first, then the rest of the lockscreen fades in underneath it, matching your wanted behaviour.

Pulley menu for lock/ambiences wouldn't work if you have more than 4 and they stack in the bottom.
As i wrote in the TJC feature request, it does not matter how many ambiances are in the drawer. Only the first 5 items (including lock-device) that completely fill the screen anyway should be pulley items.
Everything else stays the same. If you do not want to use the pulley, just do not hold the thumb while expanding the shutter drawer but let it go or even flick in motion. Also, if you go over the fifth selectable item, e.g. leave the screen on the bottom (You anyway need to do this to select other ambiances than the first four), the pulley will also disapear. It is no change in existing functions, only pulley select for the first five items on top of that IF you keep pressed and aim slowly.
The feature is so obvious to me, it totally feels awkward to use the current drawer and not hear the pulley click sound and just let go to select...

Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
I think it's terrible as you can't immediately check time and have to wait LONG for the clock to appear...
What happened to the 'LPM'/Glance Screen on Sailfish OS 2.0? Is this feature still working if you activate(d) it via terminal?

The Following User Says Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post: