Streaming from your PC to the N900

In this tutorial i will show you how you can stream video and audio over wi-fi directly to your nokia N900.

In this tutorial im using Windows XP and Windows Media Player 11

First open your windows media player and select the library options and select Media Sharing.

Next (like on the image below) click the Share my media to: box. Then click the settings tab.

Next (see image below) click the boxes under Media Types for the media you want to share.
Also click All Ratings on both star ratings and parental ratings, and at the bottom click Allow new devices automatically.
Then select the OK tab.

Now you can close windows media player and connect your n900 to the same network your PC is connected to.

Once connected goto your n900 file manager and it should now list your Shared media.

Now you can stream audio and video files.

Once you have done all the above if you open windows media player again and goto the same settings as above you can untick the Allow new devices automatically as your n900 should now be allowed automatically.

If for some reason it wont work after unticking the Allow new devices automatically then just select the device icon and press Allow.

Hope this comes in handy for some members of maemo.org

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to biggzy For This Useful Post:
Great work. is it possible to view networked files in general?

Originally Posted by biggzy View Post
Streaming from your PC to the N900
Just found the ultimate media server, only uses 6watts with CPU idling and 8watts at full tilt, so can be always left on.

The fit-PC2i, one of the world smallest most efficient PCs around.

Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
Just found the ultimate media server, only uses 6watts with CPU idling and 8watts at full tilt, so can be always left on.

The fit-PC2i, one of the world smallest most efficient PCs around.
That is tiny lol