Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
Firstly, why would somebody have your root password? Secondly, why would you allow remote root log in? Thirdly, why would you be running daemons on an unsecured network?
1. Probably no-one, if you have good password and don't use it anywhere else, but at least I really like to have some security
2. Because I need it?
3. At least I have my server and desktop computer connected to internet all the time so it's pretty much impossible to disable access to everyone completely.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
If you want to spy on people, that's your issue. Don't install it, then, and move on. However, if you'd like to know when others are spying on you, this is a very useful utility.

Doesn't sysklogd slowly fill up rootfs space with the logs, though?
My year old laptops auth.log is currenly 43.0 KB so it probably clears it automatically.

Yes it seems to remove over week old entries.

Originally Posted by jd4200 View Post
Would this not be prone to high CPU usage, and leakage due to the constant polling?
I don't think that tail is heavy or is it?
Wlan Driver Selector Applet - Switch easily between stock and bleeding edge drivers

Last edited by laasonen; 2011-06-12 at 10:38.

Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Do you like the shell-script that much? What about a C program doing this? Much faster and lower ressource consumption?

Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by epitaph View Post
Do you like the shell-script that much? What about a C program doing this? Much faster and lower ressource consumption?
I just ported the script I did for my computers. I have always thought that tail is pretty light application, but please show me otherwise. C application would be lighter, but I don't think its necessary.
Wlan Driver Selector Applet - Switch easily between stock and bleeding edge drivers

Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Originally Posted by laasonen View Post
I just ported the script I did for my computers. I have always thought that tail is pretty light application, but please show me otherwise. C application would be lighter, but I don't think its necessary.
I was just curious. Take a look at how to limit cpu usage (signal.h and SIGSTOP and SIGCONT and dbus with C is pretty much the same. There is a great wiki about it.

Last edited by epitaph; 2011-06-12 at 11:07.

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England

I don't think that tail is heavy or is it?
No, definitely not. I think it is more so the fact that the CPU would never be in an idle state because 'tail' defaults to checking every two seconds, so the CPU will be constantly switching between going idle and then waking, so it could be a battery drain.
I'm no expert in this area so I don't know; maybe a cron job would be better which externally executes the script (but not using the '-f' switch).

Nice job anyway!

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
What about using Inotify for watching the log (or some other file that changes when users log in) ? Provided Inotify is available on Maemo, of course.

Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
It's a good script to run along Kippo. The only thing missing is a sound notification after every failed auth attempt...

Last edited by jellyroll; 2014-12-26 at 14:13.