Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Feb 2010
shortened

Last edited by garyc2010; 2010-05-29 at 10:42.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
interesting that the 2 x devices that get all the air time (android and i-phone) also use buckets of nokia technology to make them work.

It seems, from an outsider's perspective, that you can't even buy a phone in the US without being locked into a contract with a telco.

Google (through the companies that use their OS) and Apple are recognised brands that are quite happy to let their product wear some carrier's branding. That way they still sell their products and also save money on marketing by letting the carriers do all the advertising (after all, these companies are all in it to make money. They're not here for anything else)

The US based tech sites are mostly funded by advertising. who in their right mind would assume that in a capitalist environment, they would actually do anything as silly as bite the hand that feeds them?
That's got nothing to do with nationalism and everything to do with business.

just my 2 cents

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
you will like: http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...tech-bloggers/
I lol'd

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by garyc2010 View Post
********* Perfect reply

Most Eurpoeans would have trouble labelling 10 US Sates on a map of North America

Im from the UK, which is a fairly well developed country, The USA is so much more developed, yes it does have *alot* of bad points, but then again what country doesn't

Well to be honest it's quite different not knowing where states are and not knowing where countries are. Especially when the country in question is so powerful..like Malta ^^. However I seriously doubt if even Americans know where all the 50 states are. Sure some might know but most will not.

The point was that America is apparentely trying to discredit Nokia so that it gains more market share. Which sucks really. That's cheating and dirty business practice. Android and iPhone aren't technically better than Nokia devices. They have their ups and they have their downs.

This is only my opinion, but I feel that even if Nokia comes up with a device superior in every way to its competition, it will still be discredited and regarded as worse. Just take a look at the statement 100,000 in five months. How could anyone be so stupid as to confuse weeks with months? And why didn't they correct the title..at least at first. The current title reads: 100,000 devices in 5 months..more like 5 weeks (updated). That sounds like a smart*ss comment more than a correction. 100,000 in 5 weeks is not bad..but in months..it's just sad. Even more discrediting. People won't easily buy a product that's not popular. There are some that like to be unique..but most people want to be safe and buy what everyone's buying.

How come you never see mistakes like this regarding Apple or Google? How come all Nokia's faults are listed but none of Apple's or Google's are listed? I don't believe they're flawless. At all. I used the iPhone. It dropped some calls, sometimes crashed, sometimes slowed down, took a long time to boot etc. I'm not saying it's a bad device..but the internet makes you think it is perfect.

I look at GSMArena only for reviews. At least they are more fair than others. In a review or comparison I expect that it is done fairly. If you are in any way biased, you shouldn't do reviews.

Last edited by pantera1989; 2010-05-29 at 00:45.

Originally Posted by garyc2010 View Post
********* Perfect reply

Most Eurpoeans would have trouble labelling 10 US Sates on a map of North America
probably true but most people even have trouble pointing out on a map where they are on holiday.

I actually had to learn all the states and capitals by heart in highschool but i am ashamed to say I forgot most of them.

I don't buy the story about US sites bashing European companies btw. I never noticed anyway. But then we only have Philips here in the Netherlands and they were smart enough to stop trying to make mobiles because they sucked at it

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Portland OR USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I've moved the ethnocentrism posts here as they were off-topic in the thread in which they developed. For now, I'm allowing this discussion to continue; however, this appears to be a thread that could turn ugly, or to politics, quickly. Please try to avoid that. Thank you.
I was just about to tell them we would be moved to off topic!!

we laughed, we cried....

at least laughed

Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
interesting that the 2 x devices that get all the air time (android and i-phone) also use buckets of nokia technology to make them work.

It seems, from an outsider's perspective, that you can't even buy a phone in the US without being locked into a contract with a telco.

Google (through the companies that use their OS) and Apple are recognised brands that are quite happy to let their product wear some carrier's branding. That way they still sell their products and also save money on marketing by letting the carriers do all the advertising (after all, these companies are all in it to make money. They're not here for anything else)

The US based tech sites are mostly funded by advertising. who in their right mind would assume that in a capitalist environment, they would actually do anything as silly as bite the hand that feeds them?
That's got nothing to do with nationalism and everything to do with business.

just my 2 cents
Exactly. And smart people are supposed to disconnect their advertisement receptors before they become an adult..

You don't eat where you sh1t. That is all

my cat does. Well almost.

Does you cat know kung fu?