Active Topics

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Screen rotate issue has been fixed in 1.2 or 1.3 IIRC, with the sliding and the blinking. I have sped up the rotation animation A BIT and have zero issues wirth portrait phone.

I used to have, true, but with all the oil Swappolube and OC brings, this is simply not an issue.

Also, I'd like to remind you that lack of support is not why we have no slide to answer. It has been asked from day one and we were refused before PRs started rolling. It appears Nokia feels that making it work cramped its style.

There is an app out there that locks phone on ring so you need to swipe to answer.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Again, it's hardly an excuse to hate a phone simply because it fails your expectations. It is you who set the expectations, am I correct?
You tell me if the following is correct or not:

Brands convey distinct personality and image, backed up by their track record in delivering a certain kind of product/service/experience to their customers.

IE: Porsche. Ferrari. Tiffany & Co. Mc Donalds. Pepsi. Levi's.

When you read their name, you conjure up an image of them. An expectation of what to see/experience.

Who is setting the expectations?

Bonus question:

The brand 'Nokia'...

Is the n900 in line with their brand image? ...of what you expect from a Nokia?

Flame reetardant: of course if one follows tmo, then they should already know what to expect from a maemo (not yet step 5 of 5) device.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2011-02-07 at 10:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Sherlock, I presume?

At least on pretty obvious advantage is..*drum roll*..no need to rotate screen. *Woohooo*
Einstein, don't forget to rotate the phone when you bring it up to your ear, unless you handle your phone like a walkie talkie. *yipee*

Last edited by Joseph.skb; 2011-02-07 at 13:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Einstein, don't forget to rotate the phone when you bring it up to your ear, unless you handle your phone like a walkie talkie. *yipee*
Yep

"_Any_ advantage" you asked.
--> OS doesn´t have to rotate screen
---> No jumping of buttons across screen and no black out
(Nothing new here)

Still...if you happen to watch flash video from youtube and same time you are multitasking another stuff and phone app starts launching/ringing I would not be surprised if it took awhile before you are able to answer....fact is that you are given free hands to take N900 to knees. Of course I would recommend to mostly only single task if responsiveness is critical.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Since there appears to be no technical issues, and from what I've seen here, guess there's no significant difference with landscape/portrait modes. I'll evaluate both ways and see which is better (for my preference). Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
I don't understand what more someone would want... can anyone explain?
The problem isn't Maemo, the N900 or the community, it is Nokia. Nokia has failed to attract a large non-commercial developer base and 3rd party commercial developers.

While the Maemo developer community has done a nice job, there has been and continues to be a growing list of apps that Android/Ios. The community here is strong, but without good stewardship from Nokia or Intel, the developer base will remain small.

Thats not to say it is a bad thing. I can see someone choosing to stay with the do it yourself, mod the heck out of your phone community that is Maemo.org. For someone like me though, the amount of time I am willing to spend doing things to my phone is shrinking.

I wish Nokia had done a better job, I'm not a hater, I see the value in the N900, I'm just sorta miffed by some things right now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmberta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Flame reetardant: of course if one follows tmo, then they should already know what to expect from a maemo (not yet step 5 of 5) device.
Hey, we've got to live up to the t.m.o brand identity, man.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
@9000 - I like my N900, this thread is speculation as to why others "hate" it.

@everyone - Thanks for the advice on the answering issue. That actually brings up another reason some have "hate" for the N900. It seems some of the issues people have with the N900 can be individual device specific. What I mean is that, it seems like two people can have nearly identical setups, and only one will have an issue. On the other hand, the N900 is so customizable, it's completely possible to have a unique setup. This makes bug tracking very difficult.

I'm on PR1.3, overclocked to 805 (with a slight undervolt), using modified hildon-desktop for 6 desktops (mostly shortcuts, not widgets). Probably around 100 or so apps installed, no contact managers. But even from stock, I've always had the occasional issues with answering calls. And yes, I even flashed both 1.3 and the emmc for a fresh "from scratch" start. I believe I've tried most of the fixes, and yes even when locked to one orientation, it still wanted to flip occasionally. Having it locked to one annoyed me, so I don't. I'm not important enough that a missed call will cause doom in my life, so I shrug and move on, one of the little quirks that makes it all the more lovable and annoying at the same time.

I've said it before, but I think Nokia rushed out Maemo 5 (making more like step 2.5 or 3 of 5, not 4 of 5. I see quite a few things where I wonder what they were thinking, or if the even used the N900 at all before deciding things should be a certain way (not talking about MMS or portrait mode, or Flash). None are deal-breakers, just minor annoyances. Instead of leaving support there and building on it, they quickly moved on to MeeGo. Yes we knew harmattan was moving to QT, but I think a lot of folks expected better support than we got.

As to expectations, as ysss points out, based on prior brand history, the company contributes in a significant fashion to customer expectations. Customers are hard to come by and easy to lose.

So, I'm just saying I can understand some hate, it's not that hard to do if you look at the N900 from a regular point of view and not the advanced linux power user point of view.

Personally, I think it's great, but has so much wasted potential, if only......

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by razzvi18 View Post
if you want a phone with limited OS and functionality go and buy another one, but if you want the freedom to create your own apps get the n900.
This is one this I DO NOT GET.

You can write your own apps for anything. Even iPhones, the most locked down of the locked down.

And guess what, you'll still be able to answer a call when in the middle of a good 3D game.

if you want the freedom to answer calls whilst doing other things...don't get the N900.

I'm genuinely sorry for you poor saps. Spending 600 euros on a brick from Nokia which managed to reach EOL within a week after release.

They then brainwash you into thinking its open, without just giving you the ****ing source code. They make great promises of Ovi Store filled with great apps, Ovi Maps, Flash 10.1 and continued support. And what do you get? A fcuking webcomic about an Angry Man.

A bunch of non paid backstreet coders with nothing better to do then decide to improve this device themselves for the community. Without these decent men and women you all would quickly realize you got professionally scammed out of your money and left with a POS. But this is exactly what Nokia was aiming for: plenty money, little to no work and no customer support; leave that to the users themselves.

Face it, Nokia played the long con on you and walked away laughing there arses off.

Last edited by PradaBrada; 2011-02-07 at 15:25.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PradaBrada For This Useful Post:

Tags
blah blah blah, blah the end, criticismhearit, flamebait, popcorn time, quit happens, still blah blah, stop it, trollfest