Posts: 249 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ International
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Or, they're getting things ready for the future OS's (don't forget that Maemo 5 was planned as a step 4 out of 5)... So we really can't judge OVI store now.... It starts, when MeeGo is officially out..

Then, and only then, you can say that, that's "day one" for Ovi Store..
<Playing devils advocate> But dont you think it would have made better business sense to get the Ovi/apps ready to co-incide with the launch of the N900?

Becuase all we have been hearing is the clamour of complaints from those who are app hungry and cant find what they are looking for.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Can you imagine Steve Jobs introducing a product and saying, "but this doesn't really count, since it's just step 4 of 5"?

What step is the iPad?

Originally Posted by gryedouge View Post
There I agree with you..linux is way ahead but in terms of commercial aspects - ie iApps store vs Ovi?
yeah thats true, in terms of IA store vs Ovi apple has more developers behind it, more people know it so more developers go for it so more money in the long run =/

gav

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
<Playing devils advocate> But dont you think it would have made better business sense to get the Ovi/apps ready to co-incide with the launch of the N900?

Becuase all we have been hearing is the clamour of complaints from those who are app hungry and cant find what they are looking for.
How do you know that they haven't gathered enough information in order to succeed OVI Store? There's a lot of things that Nokia doesn't say to everyone.. In a matter of fact 99.9% of things Nokia keeps things to themselves.. So you can't really say why this hasn't happened.. etc. This is all a speculation, but I think that that's what's happening, because knowing Nokia they always think of the future rather than now..

Not really, if QT 4.6 was in Nokia's roadmap then having apps from companies (not built using QT 4.6) ready to launch with the N900 would mean those apps would be limited only to the N900 platform. And I think Nokia knows the N900 wouldn't sell enough to justify that (also why companies like Google haven't brought a Google Maps app to Maemo, not enough numbers to justify it). Hence the Meego route so there are more platforms (with QT compatibility) and as a result more users. More users means more developer interest. More developer interest means more programs. So now a company like Google might look at the platform and see that if they build their app using QT 4.6 they can deploy it on Symbian, Maemo (if Nokia doesn't plan on bringing Meego to the N900 themselves), Meego devices.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
I don't think that there's a chance in hell. Nokia's problem is that everything about Ovi feels like beta and they aren't developing it fast enough for it to be a service I personally would start using any time soon.

The Apple store is ready, functional and immensely popular. Apple's downfall is going to be not reinventing itself enough, but only after everyone has already bought an iPhone/iPod touch once and want to collectively try something new.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Some numbers and other stats about Ovi:
http://www.mobileperry.com/2010/04/o...pril-2010.html

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
I think ovi store stands a chance after qt has been implemented for all high-end phones (around 2011) but will it be too late? Who knows.

On the other hand even without qt firms like Digital chocolate have succeeded, so after other firms see numbers like this:
http://www.digitalchocolate.com/news...ias-ovi-store/

it will grow pretty fast i'm sure.

By the way there is some info on a new maemo game in the article.

"will become available for download in the Ovi Store in April"

Last edited by bbin; 2010-04-14 at 13:42.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
We are talking about mobile industry. So, NO, 2011 is not late. Qt is the horse the bet is on. And I believe it is a WIN-WIN situation both for the producers and the consumers.

Tags
ovi store's future