Notices

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
haven't tested yet but I guess NFS is some-like working out of the box but CIFS (Samba, Windows Share) wont, at least in a terminal. And of course as I am to care about Joe (Average Joe) it would be realy nice to have a GUI with CIFS browser and such things auto mounting when trying to open the folder and umounting when leaving. For NFS it is a bit different but I think who will figure out the samba thing will either know how to do it with NFS in a neat way or does know someone.

I didn't start a brainstorm item yet but I think it would be worth to think about an "Average Joe Task Force" which is looking after the GUI development of things which can already be done by us geeks within our beloved terminal.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
haven't tested yet but I guess NFS is some-like working out of the box
Thanks for mentioning that, it made me check :-) Not quite out-of-the box, but kernel support is there. You just need to modprobe nfs, apt-get install (and start) portmap and then you can mount away :-)

And of course as I am to care about Joe (Average Joe) it would be realy nice to have a GUI with CIFS browser and such things auto mounting when trying to open the folder and umounting when leaving.
The file manager used to have support for unauthenticated SMB shares, but that's been removed in Fremantle.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
why was this removed? how should I get data from our companies network if there is no linux fileserver while in a meeting? I dont have access to our fileservers apart of windows share and so do many, well if there is a samba client (didnt check) I script it like I did on my netbook, but average joe wont do that!

Originally Posted by lma View Post
The file manager used to have support for unauthenticated SMB shares, but that's been removed in Fremantle.
Was it just support for unauthenticated SMB shares that was removed or all SMB shares?

Originally Posted by matrim View Post
Was it just support for unauthenticated SMB shares that was removed or all SMB shares?
Yes. (Authenticated ones were never supported).

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The CIFS/SMB support was never great in Maemo. Honestly, I'm glad they got rid of their half-assed samba implementation; this makes it possible for community apps to implement CIFS/SMB properly, with full authentication support.

I think we need a forward port of Wizard Mounter (talk thread) to Fremantle.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
why was this removed?
This has been discussed several times previously, but:

Unauthenticated SMB/CFS support was present in previous Maemo releases only because they used GnomeVFS, and GnomeVFS had such support built in. However, Gnome deprecated GnomeVFS in early 2008.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
I for one would rather have back the half-assed support until something else is on the table.

If you read this, chances is that you will want to read this instead. Related thread, with a solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post: