hello everyone , i stumbled around the web , and there were some toturials how to make free pascal or lazarus work on a n900 ...
the problem is , i dont realy understand them =)))

em, could someone just make a port for n900 , that you can install from 1 file , without compiling ...

... sorry if i am stupid ... i never did such things before ... i never worked under a linux system, so it is a little bit scary to me ...

here are the links
http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/...ic,8084.0.html
http://vserver.rosseaux.net/tutorials/fpcn900.php
thanks for the replys

Last edited by razialo; 2010-03-01 at 14:10.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
As far as I can see, it's pretty far from user friendly. I want Pascal for Maemo as well.

I see zToDo is a Kylix project for Maemo 4, so in theory it could be done. Unfortunately, Kylix is no longer sold AFAIK.

It seems freepascal is the last hope thus far, but even so, it's less than friendly, not to mention the difficulties with packaging. Additionally, I understand projects in the repository are compiled server-side, so it seems we'll be stuck distributing manually.

Too bad, more developers can't possibly hurt. I wish at least pascal scripting would be available to a decent degree. I could live with less-than-Delphi programming environment.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
I looked at the second link and, to me, it looks like the first seven steps is to set up what I did with the rootstrap plus some extra fidgeting with soft links to .so files.

The binutils I got from the ARM toolchain work well so no need to compile those.

As I see it, compiling the Pascal compiler is as easy as compiling anything else (apart from it being a compiler which might very well lead to complications). Packaging it in a sane way is a completely different matter as I have no idea what the Pascal compiler depends on.

And the ugly hack to copy all the libs to cwd and blame -rpath is painful since it's -rpath-link that's interesting to use here...

Last edited by Joorin; 2010-04-26 at 09:53. Reason: Second reading

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I'm not doing the fidgetin with stuff any more, learned my lesson.

When developing for Atmel AT90 and later I had to dig for weeks, as their development platform only does assembler.

There was the editing, then the compiling, then the linking, then the hexing, the writing, the horror. I had a batch file THIS long. When I upgraded the PC I had to start all over. Broken dependencies, mismatched versions, broken paths, patches.

No more. I'm not going through that again. I now have another PC at the office that has the whole shebang and nobody touches it.

I miss Kylix.

At this rate I either drop development for maemo or I start learning Python. I hate Python. Scream all you want.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
I've had a quick peek at this now. 600+MBytes of code, documentation, examples and tests is impressive. But since it relies on an fpc compiler to actually build the cross-compiler, I think I'll leave it there.

I have no interest in installing the fpc locally but I still think this is easier than it looks for anyone with a working scratchbox/cross compiling environment.