Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
What I want is to build a simple UI app for Maemo in C but I also need a RAD (Iazy me!)to create the UI and generate C frame C code. I am an old timer coding in C, asm, ....

I am new to Maemo UI design. (played with MFC long long time ago so I am very familiar with the UI concepts) I have played with GTK but could not find a good UI designer (on Linux or Windows) for GTK which can generate C code (Glade is now too complicated to learn at this moment!).

so should I go with GTK or Qt? Need advice before I plunge into it.

Or maybe I should abandon C and jump in with python ?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
What exactly is complicated about Glade - it generates simple XML code which you can use even with the internal GTK+ UIManager (although you need to scrap some things)?

The complicated there is actually GTK+ - it has some strange ideas how the UI should be built and how the designer should be constrained in order to follow the guidelines. So live with it - you won't find better designer for GTK+...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
QT has own easier designer, but you have to install big number of libs on the tablet to actually use it - for QT better wait for the next tablets.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
You can use Glade 3.6 (or a version in that region) that supports GtkBuilder .ui files. This will allow you to easily design GTK+ GUIs. No support for Hildon widgets, though - but you can create buttons and change the GtkButton class name to HildonButton in the .ui file (it's just an XML file). And you might want subscribe to this bug, which is about a styling issue in Hildon when using GtkBuilder.

You can use the resulting .ui file with all languages that you can write GTK+ applications in, i.e. C (gtk+), C++ (gtkmm) and Python (pygtk).

You don't even have to keep them in separate files (they need to be loaded after all), but you can keep the definition as a simple string directly in the executable.

Hi,

I'm not the biggest fan of Glade either, even though it's been already some time ago since I used it last time. If you are searching for an easy to use UI creating tool, I would suggest to have a look at Qt and Qt Creator. Even though you need a lot of libraries it is worth to have a look at it in my opinion. There are as well Python bindings for it, if you consider using python.

Cheers Daniel