Notices

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Hi,
This simple application turns the speakers on or off by sliding the keyboard out or closing it respectively while the call is active - making and answering the call (not while receiving/ringing).
It is just in early development phase and hence not yet uploaded to extras-devel but will soon. However, for those who want to give it a try and leave some feedback, I have attached the .deb file. I've used it, installed/uninstalled, restarted device, without any problem hence you shouldn't have any either. If any, just uninstall and let me know.

TO DO:
* Use proximity as well [DONE]
* Create a control panel applet for settings (options to also open dashboard while speakers are active if any other files are open and of course to choose between proximity or keyboard action) [DONE]

TO INSTALL:
*open x-terminal
*sudo gainroot (assuming you have rootsh installed from repo)
*dpkg -i psswitcher_0.1-1_armel.deb (assuming you are in the same directory as this .deb file)

OR

Open the file from File Manager to install. (EASY)

TO UNINSTALL:
*sudo gainroot (assumption as above)
*dpkg -r psswitcher

OR

Simply uninstall from Application Manager.

UPDATES:

0.2-3 is in Extras-testing now.

NOTE: Answering and ending calls using camera button is yet not supported in Skype and GTalk calls.

*Version 0.2-3 (Current)
*Changelogsince 0.1-9)

- Issues with bluetooth headset is resolved
- Options to enable camera button to toggle proximity while proximity is in use
- Disabling proximity by half-pressing camera button while making or answering a call will last for that whole conversation. It can't be later enabled within the same conversation.
- Other minor fixes

*Version 0.1-9
*Changelog:

- Information banner to show proximity state everytime its toggled
- Delay timer upto 10 seconds
- Other minor fixes

Again usage instructions file /usr/share/doc/psswitcher/README.Debian.

This package is just uploaded to extras-devel and as soon as its there I'll promote it to testing. Thanks

update: package is now in extras-testing

*Version 0.1-8
*Changelog:

- Supports Bluetooth headsets now
- Pressing camkey while answering/calling deactivates proximity
- Pressing camkey for around half a second toggles proximity
- Ability to use keyboard and proximity concurrently
- While opening keyboard proximity is temporarily disabled
- Option to set delay when turning speakers on via proximity
- Usage instructions file /usr/share/doc/psswitcher/README.Debian
IMPORTANT: Due to dependency problem for now it can only be installed giving sudo dpkg -i --force-depends psswitcher_0.1-8_armel.deb

*Version 0.1-7
*Changelog:

- cam key presses more accurate (meaning- long press ends phone call and quick short press toggles speakers and presses falling in between isn't effective)

*Version 0.1-5
*Changelog:
- Proximity Fixed
- Option to select distance before turning the speakers on has been removed coz it was for different purpose actually
- Minor fixes in control panel plugin UI
*Bug-tracker has also been added but as of now its not active yet. When it gets, I'll be pushing it to testing.

*Version 0.1-4
*Changelog:
- GUI interface in control panel for configuration
- Option to automatically open dashboard added
- Option to easily end call added
*Now available to download from extras-devel(BEWARE OF THE RISK OF ENABLING EXTRAS-DEVEL IN APPLICATION MANAGER)
*However, you can use the attached .deb file instead until I push it to extras-testing for testing purposes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING BEFORE INSTALLING:
[config file is in /home/user/.psswitcher/config]
[using proximity and other shortcuts at the same time will interfere and may cause random issues so please avoid doing so]
[just changing from true to false or vice versa will either disable/enable the shortcut]
[for "Distance", higher the value, further you can hold before the speaker gets activated ]
[please do killall PSSwitcher for changes to take effect] -- EDITED
[In config "Use Switcher", "Double Tap", "Open Dashboard" have no effect. I'm planning to implement them with control panel plugin for disabling the application, double tapping to end call and opening the dashboard while turning the speakers on respectively]

*Version 0.1-3
*Changelog:
- Proximity sensor shortcut is added
- Config file to switch shortcuts
- Phone UI's button is updated when toggeling speakers
- Some minor fixes

*Version 0.1-2
*Changelog:
- Sometimes only works when redoing is fixed.
- Camera focus button shortcut is added.
- Ineffective when headphone is plugged is added.

PS: Big thanks to qwerty12 or else I would have been still banging my head .
Attached Files
File Type: deb psswitcher_0.1-8_armel.deb (22.3 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by jaeezzy; 2010-08-07 at 10:09. Reason: 0.2-3 pushed to testing

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to jaeezzy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
sounds cool, but i totally dont get the part about how it works

"making and answering the call (not while receiving/ringing)"

i'd love to see that when my phone is next to my face (proximity sensor) it goes to internal and when i put it away it goes on external speaker. That would be great

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dof250 For This Useful Post:
Does this program have a source?

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Dude what does this application actually do?

Need a little more explanation.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
From my reading, it only operates while you're actually having a conversation on the phone (i.e. after you've picked up the call). It then switches to the main speakers (rather than just the earpiece speaker) when you open the keyboard, and back again when the keyboard is closed. This allows you to easily look things up on the phone in the middle of a conversation. As dof250 says, having it triggered by the proximity sensor might make more sense, but it sounds like that option will be coming in a future release.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
From my reading, it only operates while you're actually having a conversation on the phone (i.e. after you've picked up the call). It then switches to the main speakers (rather than just the earpiece speaker) when you open the keyboard, and back again when the keyboard is closed. This allows you to easily look things up on the phone in the middle of a conversation. As dof250 says, having it triggered by the proximity sensor might make more sense, but it sounds like that option will be coming in a future release.
Ya exactly. It only works when the phone is active meaning you are talking on the phone or you are making call to someone and not when the phone is ringing which happens when someone else is calling you and other times it has no effect. The good of this is you can slideout the keyboard and do other stuff on the mobile while talking in loudspeaker and if you want to talk normally you don't have to go to the phone ui and disable speaker, just slide in the keyboard and there you go. Ya, I'll be bringing proximity sooon.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaeezzy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
oh, okay thats cool, might give it a test

why not just tap on the loud speaker an slide the keyboard out an use it?! simple.

The Following User Says Thank You to badboyuk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by badboyuk View Post
why not just tap on the loud speaker an slide the keyboard out an use it?! simple.
Well... if you're in an app you first need to switch back to phone and then tap the loudspeaker button. Opening the keyboard is faster