Active Topics

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes, Linux is a perfect example. As you correctly say, it started spreading pretty much all by itself amongst the handful of enthusiasts but had not gained any noticeable user base until some major distributrions got under the wings of large companies. So Linux itself very much confirms Zeta's argument
Commits on Linux 4.3 by domain:

Yeah Linux is definitely not backed by a company, and certainly not several of the biggest companies in tech </sarcasm>

Source

The Following User Says Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Please, everyone, immediately remove any apps from your devices unless a major company backs them.
I did not say it was a good thing. Neither did I say that it is how it should work. All I said was that it is how it does.

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Commits on Linux 4.3 by domain:
What does that have to do with Linux's use base?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
if we all had been contributing with one cent/a line of code for every useless air-fried related discussion here, now we would have collected just an hundred billions of dollars/euros

...let's come back on the earth, guys. for every interesting point someone point out, the discussion eventually seems to drift away.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
I remember the Cordia project, it was clean and smooth and pretty awesome. Hildon on top of Mer, what Nokia refused to give us. But that was abandoned.
While it sounds nice from an outsider's point of view, I'd rather not build on such old dinosaurs.

I once tried to port Cordia to run on the WeTab in an effort to build a custom UI on top of Mer, but that damn thing was buggy as hell, flickering and in general not working well on any screen resolution other than the one of the N900.
It was based on opensourced Nokia code that wasn't even built by Nokia but by subcontractors who left a pretty mess IMHO.

Hildon was finally abandoned because the code-base was not really maintainable IMHO. The Hildon desktop is opensource.

Rebuilding the Hildon look & feel with QML and lipstick makes a lot more sense to me and opensource lipstick where Jolla invested lots of work is the perfect tool for this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
if we all had been contributing with one cent/a line of code for every useless air-fried related discussion here, now we would have collected just an hundred billions of dollars/euros

...let's come back on the earth, guys. for every interesting point someone point out, the discussion eventually seems to drift away.
100 % agree with it does matter!

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aQUICK1 View Post
100 % agree with it does matter!
ahahahaha it does.