Active Topics

As a long-time fitaly on Pocket PC user, I found this acidentally.

If you want to get an uppercase character, tap and hold the character and then slide the pointer up and right before releasing. It can be a bit fiddly and if you miss the slide you get a space but it does seem to work.

HTH.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Actually it's just slide directly up. Slide right gives space, so that might be the fiddly part here.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Midlands, UK
Originally Posted by andymulhearn
As a long-time fitaly on Pocket PC user, I found this acidentally.

If you want to get an uppercase character, tap and hold the character and then slide the pointer up and right before releasing. It can be a bit fiddly and if you miss the slide you get a space but it does seem to work.
HTH.
After much rigorous experimentation*, I've found that the "space OR capital" behaviour is governed by where the stylus exits the lower case key. There're also some extra details that I found:

If the stylus exits the key through the top border, you get an uppercase letter.
If it exits through the right border, you get a space.
If it exits through the left border, you get a backspace, deleting the last character.
If it exits through the bottom border, you get a newline.

This was all tested in Notes; I don't know what, say, the "newline" trigger would do when entering stuff in a web form.

HTH,
Jaycee

*experimentation may be less rigorous than stated

Last edited by jaycee; 2005-12-19 at 14:37. Reason: Bad punctuation. BAD puctuation. Down boy. Down.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
Excellent...

no more caps/caps-lock to get a simple dash or tilde.

This will be great in Xterm..

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Midlands, UK
Originally Posted by putkowski
Excellent...

no more caps/caps-lock to get a simple dash or tilde.

This will be great in Xterm..
Ooo - hadn't thought of checking non-alpha characters!

So, the "upper case" modifier, above, is actually "produce whatever character /would/ appear in upper-case mode, even if it changes the character totally". e.g. "? and ~", "/ and \" and (most usefully ) "! and |".

This works on /all/ the keys on the vKeyboard that produce a character.

Cheers,
Jaycee

For a good overview of the keyboard gestures, check out the gestures section of the Maemo wiki, HowToInputMethod770 It does a great job explaining the alternative case gesture and the multiple backspace gesture.

The Following User Says Thank You to MikeB For This Useful Post: