Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
As the internal memory of the n810 is very limited and gets full when many apps are installed I thought of doing the following:

mkdir /media/mmc2/libs/
mv /usr/lib/[large library file] /media/mmc2/libs/
ln -s /media/mmc2/libs/[large library file] [large library file]

so the OS 'thinks' the file is still in /usr/lib but physically on mmc2.
But in most cases this does not work: the mmc2 is FAT formatted.
Can I reformat the mmc2 to native unix file system in order to make this work ?

Any experiences on this ?

I have both the internal and external cards on my n810 formatted as ext3 and am perfectly happy. It may prevent me from using the cards as USB drives on a PC, but I've never done that anyway.

Code:
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/mmc2 type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)
/dev/mmcblk1p1 on /media/mmc1 type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)
I'm not sure if there are any issues with moving a library there and symlinking it, but I can't think of any reason why there should be a problem. I do that sort of thing all the time on other systems (desktop and server).

(For grins I just moved a random library to the card on my n810, symlinked it, ran ldconfig, and loaded it via LD_PRELOAD. Seems to work just fine.)

But, what's the problem when you try to put libraries on a FAT-formatted card? The file size limit on FAT is 2GB, and I doubt any libraries exceed that. If it's a problem with permissions you should be able to overcome it with appropriate mount options. If you connect to a PC via USB though, the card will be unmounted from the n810. Depending on the library that could cause some real problems.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Booting from a flash card is the recommended solution to the space problem. Anything else is generally less stable and less safe.

Originally Posted by Chelloveck View Post
I have both the internal and external cards on my n810 formatted as ext3 and am perfectly happy. It may prevent me from using the cards as USB drives on a PC, but I've never done that anyway.

Code:
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/mmc2 type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)
/dev/mmcblk1p1 on /media/mmc1 type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)
I'm not sure if there are any issues with moving a library there and symlinking it, but I can't think of any reason why there should be a problem. I do that sort of thing all the time on other systems (desktop and server).

(For grins I just moved a random library to the card on my n810, symlinked it, ran ldconfig, and loaded it via LD_PRELOAD. Seems to work just fine.)

But, what's the problem when you try to put libraries on a FAT-formatted card? The file size limit on FAT is 2GB, and I doubt any libraries exceed that. If it's a problem with permissions you should be able to overcome it with appropriate mount options. If you connect to a PC via USB though, the card will be unmounted from the n810. Depending on the library that could cause some real problems.
What is ldconfig and LD_PRELOAD ? Is that needed for symlinking a library ? How should I do this ?

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Booting from a flash card is the recommended solution to the space problem. Anything else is generally less stable and less safe.
But when booting from the flash card it is not possible to update the firmware to a new version unless reflash completely and do a lot of cumbersome things ....

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Really? I find SSU works fine with a flash card setup and reinstalling bootmenu is trivial.