Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
1. The current speed is displayed halfed on xa2. Going 40 shows 20 Km/h and so on.
I would suggest to check using GPSInfo and if its the same for it, report the issue @TJC

2. The road signs showing the next exit are very nice already, bravo.
2a. Only the german translation for "exit" is hilariously wrong atm. Currently "Beenden XX" means "Quit XX". "Exit XX from current Road" would be "Ausfahrt XX".
2b. But the exit/ausfahrt numbers are not commonly used here anyway. Many (early&mixed) signs are even missing them.
Propably leading to confusion when the first info we give on the sign is not there in real world?
I propose to move the first line "Exit XX" to the bottom of the sign below the actual destination city names.
2c. Also the word "Ausfahrt" is never written out on german signs. It is indicated by a white number with white circle around it on the bottom of the sign as the word Ausfahrt is very clunky and long i guess. So no need to give away screen estate for a word even german officials do not use imo.
2d. All Caps is not necessary for the city names on the sign. It increases character spacing and does not resemble the real life signs. I would advise to remove allcaps and increase the font weight to compensate for better readability.
2a - please correct at https://www.transifex.com/rinigus/osm-scout-server (may require some registration).

2b. exit numbers are used in other places though and are the first ones on the sign (https://www.mapbox.com/mapping/mappi...ination-signs/ , used in EU as well, depending on country). => no move

2c. "Exit" is not written in (at least some) other places either. But showing plain number is maybe not the best solution either.

2d. City names are usually on street signs ALL CAPS. Hence the same on Pure Maps.

3. UX wise, (reflecting my expectations when moving from Waze/Here/Sygic to Pure Maps)
3a. Always center on current position when Pure Maps starts. Currently the map is centered around the last known position and a tap on the top right "center" button is required to move the view to current position. It would be nice if the map view would resemble the actual current position always and as soon as it is known.
3b. The "Follow me" function should not be an option to select but be standard on app start and always on if no route exists or the user does not manually drag or pinch the map. Removing the necessity for that settings option completely.
3b. Colors of the position marker (Blue circles) and the route (blue track) are too similar and sometimes look slightly messed up. Maybe change the position marker to black or something funky, ad some drop shadow to it or use a 3d modeled one as soon as a route is displayed? (I could gladly help with designing one if you explain the constraints)
3c. The "Navigation" menue option/page should contain a list of past destinations, currently you have to tap the "to" field for them.
3d. The "to" field in navigation page should be the search field you get when now taping it.
3e. For the end user it is hard to understand why the search results in navigation and search page differ. When using the search in navigation page (Stadia Maps?) i hardly ever get a result for my (maybe to lax) keywords. The exact keywords in search page (using OpenCage?) however reliably give a matching proposal. Either explain to the user how to use the search or better move to the most reliable search engine allover.
3a. that's tricky - GPS takes some time and the question is whether to move when its fixed. I presume if the user hasn't touched anything on a map, moving is warranted. Otherwise, it will be annoying if its in the middle of something.

3b. Follow me has few implications which result in the requirement of being able to switch it on or off. In this mode, device is kept alive and screen is on. In addition, map GUI elements are zoomed to account for having a device on a holder in a car, for example. So, it has to by controllable (start/stop) by the user. Same is in Google Maps, HERE I haven't checked. Now it shouldn't be that hidden either, but it will probably have to be kept in mind during redesign.

3b(2). Agreed. Corresponding issue was filed already https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/14 . I added "gui redisign" label to it.

3c. Filed https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/106

3d. Would have to think about it. It can easily get too messy. In general, would probably be OK to get from typing to "To" to the full blown search page where you could actually select the target with coordinates.

3e. If we have objects (search results) as To/From, we will not get this discrepancy. At present, routers run searches using "default" gecoders. For OSM Scout, its OSM Scout Server. For others, something that was defined as default.

Now, in terms of geocoders. I would like to know if anyone is using Photon as a geocoder. If not, I'd suggest to try and report back. Photon supports search-as-you-type and should also allow to bias results towards some location.

If the response is positive, we could change the default to Photon. I do wonder why OpenCage was selected as a default - maybe it does have a better performance.

@mosen - thank you very much for the analysis and feedback!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Now, in terms of geocoders. I would like to know if anyone is using Photon as a geocoder. If not, I'd suggest to try and report back. Photon supports search-as-you-type and should also allow to bias results towards some location.
could you please explain step by step how to do that. Honestly i confess to not have mastered the Pure Maps learning curve completely.

2a. Exit was already fixed at transifex. I am using 1.8.0 from openrepos, maybe it is not yet present there?

2b-c-d. I was under the impression the signs are already localized and editable per country, only judging from the nice blue color the german ones sport I am totally aware of the differences in EU "signing" and my comments are to be seen in light of the possibility to have perfectly real life resembling signs per country So that's what i am apparently asking for.

3a-b.
Pardon my ignorance. As you can see i have not fully understood Pure Maps. It makes perfect sense now but i guess you do not want to explain to each user individually My humble user expectation to a navigation system foremost is to know where i am at any time. If that info is not possible, inform me please. Maybe a top red bar saying "awaiting GPS fix" like Waze is doing it. But as soon as GPS is fixed and differs from last location, move the view to my current location and follow me if i am moving. Else i feel lost
If the gps fix is wrong for whatever reason, well still show me where you think i am so i can judge for myself if that is correct.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
@mosen - geocoder is "Search" - sorry for using geo-lingo. So, in search, just select Photon . I actually made a video for desktop users, its 1:50 from the beginning of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56aPU6NjGOk . [small advantage of having it running on desktop is the ability to make such videos].

Translations are updated with the new releases, I guess it wasn't pulled in time for 1.8.0.

2b-c-d: wouldn't be trivial, but we have an issue filed for it.

Awaiting GPS fix is probably the most adequate (added note at https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/13). Note that some of us use Pure Maps for trip planning as well. In this case, you may actually want to keep the old zoom/location and have a chance to press on POI and select Drive.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
New release is out - 1.9.0

This release adds support for personal API keys. This allows each interested user to register at used provider(s) and use your own API key. So, if someone nicks any of the keys again or we will shoot over the limits, you could still use the application. Such addition was required to release a version for desktop Linux without having to risk disturbing SFOS users. At this moment, while a bit buggy over there, Pure Maps is distributed via Flathub as well.

Based on suggestion by @legacychimera247 to add "home" option in navigation, you could now shortlist any of your bookmarked POIs. The shortlisted POIs will be shown next to "Current position" at navigation to/from and nearby fields. So, you could always choose Home, Work, ... to have it easily available. I have also fixed few issues with POI handling.

For SFOS3 users, Light ambiences are supported now. Hopefully, I didn't break anything for SFOS2, cannot test it now. Please let me know if something is wrong.

In this release, accumulator contributed a fix for navigation icon shown by cover and streamlined QML code to rely more on bindings. M4rtinK worked on documentation of flatpak generation. @accumulator and @M4rtinK, thank you very much!

Translations have been updated, thanks for all involved!

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
I seem to have lost all offline maps and would appreciate any directions for finding out why and bringing them back.

Using Pure Maps and OSM Scout server on Xperia X, subscribing to several countries in the server. Tiles etc. (on SD card) take up 15+ GB.

Recently, while still on 2.2.1 Nurmonjoki, I updated PM + server. Then updated Sailfish to 3.0.0 Lemmenjoki. After that, maps were missing and the server wanted to re-download all subscriptions.

For some reason, even after the download, offline maps are still missing, and PM display is blank regardless of which map provider I pick.

With an internet conection, maps display and it looks like Pure Maps has its own cache of tiles. Going offline again I can see some pieces of some maps, while the rest of the world is missing. This makes me think that PM somehow fails to connect to the server.

When switching maps, it looks like tiles of the previous map are shown when the new map is empty.

I have tried starting just PM on its own or first starting the server and then PM with no obvious difference. Closing PM renders a prompt about it being unresponsive, letting me close it by force.

The server GUI shows messages that look ok to me, there's just one warning about Valhalla missing elevation tiles. Should not affect map display? All subscribed countries are listed as available

Please let me know if there is any other info I should gather to diagnose this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SaiFi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SaiFi View Post
I seem to have lost all offline maps and would appreciate any directions for finding out why and bringing them back.

Using Pure Maps and OSM Scout server on Xperia X, subscribing to several countries in the server. Tiles etc. (on SD card) take up 15+ GB.

Recently, while still on 2.2.1 Nurmonjoki, I updated PM + server. Then updated Sailfish to 3.0.0 Lemmenjoki. After that, maps were missing and the server wanted to re-download all subscriptions.

For some reason, even after the download, offline maps are still missing, and PM display is blank regardless of which map provider I pick.

With an internet conection, maps display and it looks like Pure Maps has its own cache of tiles. Going offline again I can see some pieces of some maps, while the rest of the world is missing. This makes me think that PM somehow fails to connect to the server.

When switching maps, it looks like tiles of the previous map are shown when the new map is empty.

I have tried starting just PM on its own or first starting the server and then PM with no obvious difference. Closing PM renders a prompt about it being unresponsive, letting me close it by force.

The server GUI shows messages that look ok to me, there's just one warning about Valhalla missing elevation tiles. Should not affect map display? All subscribed countries are listed as available

Please let me know if there is any other info I should gather to diagnose this.
Let's try to figure out what's going on. Let's check if something went wrong with the databases.

Would you mind to check whether online providers do work. For that,

* In PM: Select any of Mapbox's maps in Maps
* In PM: In Preferences/General, clear cache
* Start PM again
* Do you see maps as expected?

To check if the server has databases messed up (either the server or SD card). Let's check using internal storage and some small region:

* Close PM
* On your internal storage, create a folder
* In server: In Profiles, select Default
* In server: In Settings, set that folder for Maps storage
* In server: In Settings, at the bottom, choose to log info messages
* In server: In Map Manager, select some small region for debugging. Download required data
* Keep server running
* Start PM
* In PM: Select OSM Scout as a map provider
* Do you see maps?
* What do the logs of the server do you have? Are there requests for /vi/mbgl/ subgroups?

PS: PM is blank if you have specified online maps and there is no connection, for example.

PPS: Valhalla elevation message is expected and can be considered as a reminder of what's possible but not implemented yet (due to huge storage requirements)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
PS: PM is blank if you have specified online maps and there is no connection, for example.
Good, that confirms my suspicion

PPS: Valhalla elevation message is expected and can be considered as a reminder of what's possible but not implemented yet (due to huge storage requirements)
Ok, sounds good! I can see how elevation data would be useful, but not critical, to routing. So I'd rather use my storage space for more maps.

Hmm. Seems my first reply went AWOL. Anyway.

First test:
After clearing cache, no map was visible. Ambiance background shines through overlay with PM controls.

Second test:
I had a false start. Stopped before downloading 100M of routing data, to save on my mobile quota, but then it did not work.
After getting that data, the world overview map did show, as did the Azores... Both OSM Scout and Mapbox Streets (default) seem ok.

So conclusion is there is something going on with my SD card?

Before doing those tests, I had a look in the server log.
Profile = Raster+Vector, Storage=SD card.

Server log looked like this:
INFO: 15:41:53 Storage folder changed to /run/media/nemo/92050752.../Maps

INFO: 15:41:53 Add country or feature to requested list: Address parsing language support
WARNING: 15:41:53 No maps loaded: Missing Mapbox GL World overlay
INFO: 15:41:53 Missing data: Europe / Denmark (1,567,380,919)
...and so on for every country subscription...
INFO: 15:41:53 Missing data: Mapbox GL World overlay (13,520,896)
...and so on for Mapbox GL fonts, Mapnik World coastlines, and Address parsing language support

INFO: 15:41:53 Add country or feature to requested list: Mapnik World coastlines
Several lines about missing things, identical to the block above starting with WARNING and ending with Address parsing language support

INFO: 15:41:55 Add country or feature to requested list: Mapbox GL World overlay
[Missing things, identical to the block above]

INFO: 15:41:55 Add country or feature to requested list: Mapbox GL fonts
[Missing things, identical to the block above]

INFO: 15:41:56 Available country or territory: Address parsing language support
INFO: 15:41:56 Available country or territory: Mapbox GL World overlay
INFO: 15:41:56 Available country or territory: Mapbox GL fonts
INFO: 15:41:56 Available country or territory: Mapnik World coastlines
INFO: 15:41:56 Available country or territory: Europe / Denmark [plus every other country subscription]

INFO: 15:41:56 Countries used in search: europe/denmark [plus every other country subscription]
INFO: 15:41:56 Opened geocoder database /run/media/nemo/92050752.../Maps/geocoder-nlp/europe-denmark
INFO: 15:41:56 libpostal using languages: en pt sv
WARNING: 15:41:57 Valhalla: /data/valhalla/elevation/ currently has no elevation tiles
INFO: 15:41:57 Valhalla routing engine started

INFO: 15:41:57 Countries used in search: europe/denmark [plus every other country subscription]
INFO: 15:41:57 Opened geocoder database /run/media/nemo/92050752.../Maps/geocoder-nlp/europe-denmark
INFO: 15:41:57 libpostal using languages: en pt sv

INFO: 15:41:58 Number of parallel worker threads: 6
Not sure how to interpret that. Looks a bit like startup glitches, which are eventually resolved - but then again, no maps showed. Not even the world overview.

So, to summarize: it all works with the new folder, right? In this case, it maybe something wrong with the databases after unpacking/downloading or with the SD card itself. I would suggest to make a new folder on SD card and start populating that. Don't subscribe in huge mass, if you are not going to use it within 2-3 month - regular map updates are expected in that period.

As for "glitch" in startup messages - the last one(s) is of importance for the end user. The whole loading is implemented in a way that it tests for all conditions (and complains if something is missing) during addition of each resource. That was easier for me to debug and implement. So, its OK

In the original state, it sounded that your PM didn't really communicate with the server. Why was that - hard to tell. Maybe server got stuck with some wrong I/O.

Note that you need raster maps only if you use corresponding client - current modRana or Poor Maps (old one).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: