Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hello all. I received my N900 on monday, but yesterday i discovered an issue with headphones.

- Using Nokia Headphones (WH-205) on N900, the phone simply doesn't recognize them.
- Using iPhone headphones on N900, I can hear phones sound but with really heavy and noisy distortion.
- Using a standard headphone on N900, it works ok.
- Using Nokia Headphones (WH-205) on iPhone, it works ok. --- NOT VALID ANYMORE, SEE POST #3
- Using Nokia A/V cable on N900, it works ok.

So... what are your suggestion? I really can't find who's to blame...

Last edited by lorthirk; 2009-11-26 at 19:30.

Originally Posted by lorthirk View Post
- Using iPhone headphones on N900, I can hear phones sound but with really heavy and noisy distortion.
Nokia's 4-pole jack is wired up differently to the iPhone's - the ground and mic connections are reversed. For details see:

Hope this explains at least one of your issues.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to charlie For This Useful Post:
Yes, this is perfectly reasonable.

However i'd like to add a detail:

If I plug in the Nokia headphones and then execute a dmesg, I can see:

headphone (GPIO 177) is now connected.

So the kernel does recognize them as headphones. Since i'm new to the maemo platform is there some other diagnostic I can do?

Ok, I have another news...
I really can't figure out why, but it seems that Nokia headphones doesn't work so well on iPhone or other devices, too. I hear a somewhat distant sound. So... maybe we have a winner?

Last edited by lorthirk; 2009-11-26 at 19:29.

Yes, this is perfectly reasonable.

However i'd like to add a detail:

If I plug in the Nokia headphones and then execute a dmesg, I can see:

headphone (GPIO 177) is now connected.

So the kernel does recognize them as headphones. Since i'm new to the maemo platform is there some other diagnostic I can do?
Can't help here - my pre-order hasn't arrived yet!

Ok, I have another news...
I really can't figure out why, but it seems that Nokia headphones doesn't work so well on iPhone or other devices, too. I hear a somewhat distant sound. So... maybe we have a winner?
It's the same issue as using the iPhone headphones on the N900 - the mic and ground lines are reversed in the headphone jack with repect to the device socket.

Ok, some little news. Today I tried a N95 headset with my N900 and vice-versa. Both headset were working flawlessly with the "non-respective" device (except for the "headset" icon on N900 -- to get i have to plug in the headset and then turn on the device; a further unplug & replug doesn't make the icon come back), with working headphones AND microphone. Could it be a software issue, at this point?

Can anyone please tell me how to monitor system for headset plugging/unplugging, and how they're recognized, apart from dmesg?

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Atlanta
so my bose in ear mobile headset won't work with the n900

Originally Posted by Abemelek View Post
so my bose in ear mobile headset won't work with the n900
i'm sorry, is this a question or a sentence?

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Atlanta
i'm sorry, is this a question or a sentence?
sorry it's a question.
since the bose in ear mobile headset works with the iphone, and the iphone headphones don't work with the n900, i figured it wouldn't work.
can you use the iphone headphones as a normal 3.5mm ear phone just for music at least.
i really really really love my bose ear phones

Last edited by Abemelek; 2009-11-28 at 20:26.

Originally Posted by Abemelek View Post
sorry it's a question.
since the bose in ear mobile headset works with the iphone, and the iphone headphones don't work with the n900, i figured it wouldn't work.
can you use the iphone headphones as a normal 3.5mm ear phone just for music at least.
i really really really love my bose ear phones
if it's a simple headphone with no microphone it will work. problems are with headsets (headphones+microphone).

Tags
lack of quality control