Active Topics

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by maya View Post
I have an N82 and N900. I do not understand if the two have 5Mpx, because the pictures of N82 (without using xenon) are absurdly better than the N900?
Even when shooting documents (macro) photos of the N900 are completely blurred.
Hi.What settings are you using when you take the pics of documents? One thing I love about N900 camera is the wealth of features it has, which can be changed by a touch of a button.

For example, if I want to take a pic of a document (or anything that's closer than 1 ft from the lens) I'd switch to Macro mode.

Tapping on the Spanner icon allows me to change ISO, White Balance, Resolution and, best of all, visual check as you dial in Exposure compensation!

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brasil
Originally Posted by MaemoGuy View Post
Hi.What settings are you using when you take the pics of documents? One thing I love about N900 camera is the wealth of features it has, which can be changed by a touch of a button.

For example, if I want to take a pic of a document (or anything that's closer than 1 ft from the lens) I'd switch to Macro mode.

Tapping on the Spanner icon allows me to change ISO, White Balance, Resolution and, best of all, visual check as you dial in Exposure compensation!
Yes, I used with all combinations of settings but without success.
I need a good camera, a QWERTY keyboard and a powerful operating system.
I had a Treo 650/Centro but they were bad camera, I opted for the N82, but the Symbian OS is very weak, then got the N900 believing that would solve the question definitively. (I'm a realtor here in Brazil) so the camera needs to be really good, because I need to constantly photographing properties and documents.
If you know of any application that solves this, please let me know.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by myk View Post
Now the N86 is a real camera. Unlike N82/N900 it has a mechanical shutter and variable aperture. Still not as good as a $99 Canon, but could be a big improvement.
N95 has mechanical shutter also. You can hear it opening and closing but not when you taking picture.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
N95 has mechanical shutter also. You can hear it opening and closing but not when you taking picture.
E71 then, too...

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norwich
Originally Posted by s1rl4ncel0t View Post
In my case, I had to change the white balance from Automatic to Sunny, otherwise the photos were way too white.

People skin color seemed like they were dead

Don't know if this is a hardware problem or SW...
If HW, then I should replace the device...
thats weird, i always felt mine had more of a green tint to things in low light (day light is fine tho) when compared to my old n82 which as many will agree has great colour handling.

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brasil
Ok, but look at this http://www.flickr.com/photos/timsamo...07857408/show/
What is the secret to get pictures so perfect with the N900?
Additional software?

Last edited by maya; 2010-01-05 at 12:30. Reason: add slideshow photos

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norwich
Originally Posted by maya View Post
Ok, but look at this http://www.flickr.com/photos/timsamo...07857408/show/
What is the secret to get pictures so perfect with the N900?
Additional software?
nope, i think its just a case of adequate lighting and using the correct settings for the envirnment you're taking pictures in. auto is nt always the way to go.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
I was actually able to meet one R&D dude from Nokia last year. Basically the reason why N82 and N86 are better camera phones is the reason they are made for that purpose. They start designing the phone with the camera parts and the other specification have to comply to that. On the other hand when you design another type of a phone, you just have some space there left for a camera module and some budget (e.g. 15$). Then the camera module designing team have to cope with that. Therefore I suggest that the camera on the N900 is just supplementary.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I agree, the macro mode isn't working properly (compared to my 2 year old N95. which had the best camera I have ever tested.)

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
One thing I have noticed... and wonder if anyone else has, is that when the camera is set to "landscape" its default infinite focal length is out of focus. So, if the same scene is put on "automatic" the picture will be quite clear, but on landscape things will simply be out of focus. Does anyone know if focal position for landscape can be modified to another preset position via software?

Oh, and on a second note, I agree with the idea that much of the photo quality comes from camera use, and not the hardware. It is not very difficult to take terrible pictures, not being steady, etc.... but to get clear pictures -- most especially with macro, requires a steady hand and almost no movement in or out, as things will go out of focus very quickly -- and subsequently become blurry.

Last edited by thorbo; 2010-01-05 at 13:11.

Tags
camera, focus, fremantle, image quality, lack of quality control, maemo, maemo 5, n900, photo, photo quality, photograph, photography, picture, quality