After spending about a month trying to connect to T-Mobile VPN after a firmware update and then finally spending 40 minutes on the telephone with level 2 Nokia techs I came to a hypothesis about why I can pair but not connect to T-Mobile VPN with my Sony Ericcson T610 phone after a firmware update to the the December 30, 2005 firmware. This post is intended to test the hypothesis. Clearly the Nokia 770 is paired because I can read and transfer files. It starts the connection process (gets a globe on the phone) and then aborts with an Internet Connection Failure error. With the old firmware the same T610 phone worked fine to connect to T-Mobile VPN. After the tech told me that they will only guarantee connection with Nokia phones, I specifically asked whether they had added any non-Bluetooth compliant routines to the new firmware to exclude non-Nokia phones from their bluetooth connection (which, of course, they do not advertise). While the tech pointed out he could not even off the record tell me because we were on a recorded call, I was left with the firm impression that Nokia may have intentionally disabled some or many non-Nokia phones from working with the new firmware. Has anyone been able to connect to T-Mobile VPN or any other GPRS service with a non-Nokia phone since upgrading the firmware? If not, does anyone else see this as a potential false advertising, standards departure, and anti-trust (tie-in) problem? Let's see what other peoples experiences have been with the upgrade and non-Nokia phones? Please post your results.

PS. Does anyone have a copy or know where I can get a copy of the old firmware so I can downgrade and get my phone working again? Nokia would not provide it so I could get the 770 back to original condition (a further hint regarding my hypothesis)

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Boston, Massachusetts
I am on cingular, but I have no problems with GPRS dial-up, on a Sony Ericsson T-616. I have the latest firmware...etc.

I guess technically I have heard that Cingular doesn't want you using your phone as a modem, but what the hey, I pay extra for the data plan, and I don't want to use any of their lame palm pdas.

I don't know... how are other people's experiences with T series SE phones?

I use the Razr, fine with the 770. I don't think there is a conspiracy. I just think they don't want to do tech support for your phone.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Florida
I have cingular as well and have used my Sony Er. Z520 with GPRS as well as my Sony WI600 on EDGE. I can also connect to GPRS on my old Nokia 6230. Not to mention GSM on all phones.
I would re-check the settings from the ground up, starting with the phone. I don't know about t-mobile but cingular changes the proxy from time to time without any notice causing connection problems.

Last edited by iZapThings; 2006-03-10 at 02:42.

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Boston, Massachusetts
In fact, if there is any sort of conspiracy, its usually on the part of the service provider locking out phone functions, so that people would buy their more expensive 3G dataplans and whatnot...

It would be unwise of Nokia to limit the capabilities of the 770 intentionally. After all this thing has not been adopted by the masses, nor by any phone carriers.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ San Francisco
No problems here with T-Mobile GPRS on SE W800i or Verizon EVDO on Moto E815... Latest firmware on N770!

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Florida, USA
T-Mobile's tzones works just fine with my v330. What settings are you using for the data connection?

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ France
Personal experience: works fine with Samsung D600

Perhaps you can try to make tcpdump trace with "who works" old firmware
and another with new firmware who "doesn't work".

that can be a good starting point to check difference
and perhaps give some idea to dev people

Good day,
Laurent.