Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
No momentary signal drops/handoffs? That's pretty good.
I had signal drops periodically up until Alexandria. It looks like handoffs on the periphery of the network might still be having issues. From Alexandria to Union Station, I had a continuous signal... which was very nice, since I was chatting with my niece in Manila (Philippines). She still can't believe we have such tech here. She wants me to get her a Asus Eee PC with XOHM or a OLPC XO with XOHM.

For DC and northern VA, nothing's official yet. They have the DC coverage map on XOHM.com now, but when you try to activate using a DC zip code such as 20054 or 20002, it still tells you "Out of Coverage Area."

For our own testing, we've all been activating ours as 21076 (Hanover, MD), and then using the devices here in DC and NoVA.

I gave a XOHM USB Adapter to my brother-in-law at Manassas and Manassas Park, VA. He actually got a XOHM signal, but didn't know about the 21076 "trick". When he called XOHM, they told him he was on a test network. I told him to try again tonight, but enter 21076 as his zip and then enter his billing information.
* Fujitsu U810 (120GB, XPT/OSX) with Sprint 4G (WiMAX)
* http://www.latheofdreams.com

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by promethh View Post
I had signal drops periodically up until Alexandria. It looks like handoffs on the periphery of the network might still be having issues. From Alexandria to Union Station, I had a continuous signal... which was very nice,
That sounds like I would expect. WiMax doesn't have handoffs like in cellular. One cloud from Alexandria to Union Station is nice - that's gotta be about 5 miles.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
That sounds like I would expect. WiMax doesn't have handoffs like in cellular. One cloud from Alexandria to Union Station is nice - that's gotta be about 5 miles.

How to check coverage here in Washington, DC, and northern VA:
http://www.xohm.com/apps/coverage-tracker/
Code:
Address:   1 Columbus Circle
City:      Washington
State:     District of Columbia
ZIP Code:  20002

Show coverage for:
[x] Mobile Devices
[ ] Modems
Looking at the light green areas (mobile) and dark green (modem), that's fairly accurate. This seems to reflect my own use in Sterling, Reston, Mclean, Alexandria, and DC.

Last edited by promethh; 2008-11-25 at 18:36. Reason: Added coverage map for DC as of 11/25/2008

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
I am a totally envious onlooker with a question for anybody with the XOHM USB stick. Have you tried using this in combination with a wifi router that accepts USB inputs, such as those Cradlepoint ones? If so, was it plug and play, or are there any driver issues, etc that need to be overcome?

I would use this combination in a heartbeat if it were available here in Canada.

Originally Posted by AIM with co-workers
(11:11:03 AM) Ken Foreman (aim): http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...1&postcount=44
(11:11:11 AM) Ken Foreman (aim): I am a totally envious onlooker with a question for anybody with the XOHM USB stick. Have you tried using this in combination with a wifi router that accepts USB inputs, such as those Cradlepoint ones? If so, was it plug and play, or are there any driver issues, etc that need to be overcome?
(11:11:25 AM) Ken Foreman (aim): Hmmm.... know anyone with such a router to test with?
(11:11:46 AM) Kwasi Brown: no but that is an interesting question
If I can find a Cradlepoint, we'll test for you. We'll have to check to see if anyone here has one. If not, one of the Nortel or AARP folks have one. I'll see if we can get a test going.

The Following User Says Thank You to promethh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Wow - you guys are awesome - Thank you! If you do happen to test this combo out, please post back your results here.

If I were in DC, I'd be in your user group. The Cradlepoint router and WiMAX USB Stick combo is an excellent path for existing tablet users to hop onto the WiMAX band(width)wagon without spending too much on additional hardware. And it gives you your own hotspot for use with all your wifi enabled devices. I was blogging about this previously in my WiMAX feature.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Maryland
WiMAX infact does have handoff capabilities. This was part of the improvements in the 802.16e standard (mobility).

XOHM uses this standard for their WiMAX service.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andyschism For This Useful Post:
I looked through the manual for the USB modem, and did not find anything directly addressing usage with a wifi router.

In working with XOHM, I have found that the customer support staff is good at helping out with specific questions like yours.

XOHM support #: 1-877-333-9646

Btw, the menu is online in PDF – definitely a good resource to keep in mind.
http://xohm.com/en_US/support/device.../xohm-usb.html

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Andyschism View Post
WiMAX infact does have handoff capabilities. This was part of the improvements in the 802.16e standard (mobility).

XOHM uses this standard for their WiMAX service.
I said handoffs like in cellular.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
I said handoffs like in cellular.
What's the difference?

The Following User Says Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:

Tags
dc metropolitan area, dc/nova, nokia n810 wimax edition, wimax, xohm