Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Amen! A small screen is where the swipe interface really shows its benefits. Unlike a large screen, where it is mostly a hindrance.
Funny, I was thinking the exact opposite is true, the swipe interface (rather the gestures interface in general) really shines in bigger screens. The only gesture really uncomfortable in large screens is the swipe down from the top. Swipe up from the bottom to draw the app launcher, swiping left / right to go back / forward and swipe from the edge to minimize can be done quite easily irrespective of the screen size IMO.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 243kof For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Amen! A small screen is where the swipe interface really shows its benefits. Unlike a large screen, where it is mostly a hindrance.
look..... we all know by now. You are actually the

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
I found jolla c to be far less usable with one hand compared to jolla 1. smaller phones work far better with SFOS.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
at this stage in the game it only makes sense for Jolla to lead with a device that is a popular format, and ~5" is where it is in the majority of sales.

beggars can't be choosers, and jolla can't afford to sink the company chasing the preferences of a niche (hardware keyboards included).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Guys... can't we just agree to disagree on the screen size debate? It seems never ending.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Guys... can't we just agree to disagree on the screen size debate? It seems never ending.
And the pro for Sailfish is, actually everybody can find his advantages depending on screen size preference
Be it one handed on small screens, or two thumbed on tablet.
Personally, i think about getting a Zen Watch just to test how the paradigm works on very small screen. I have a good feeling about it.

Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Huh, even though I'm still of the opinion that smartwatches and all that stuff are solutions to problems that don't exist, ...
Well i repeat myself but the single feature that sells smartwatches for me is notifications.
Yes, spam has a rather premium exposure when notified on the watch. But for all usefull notification it is so much faster to just check the watch than to pull out the phone.
Also having the time at hand is inherent to all watches, but concidering i did not wear any since ages and the smartwatch concept brought one back to my wrist, faster time checking is the second feature i acquired back.
Edit, and to be honest, eyecandy watchfaces, weather and miniapps like a drink-reminder are the cream on top for me

What i expect from an even more capable sailfish watch then my current pebble, is to be able to manage emails and messages like kill spam, forward or sort.
It could be also very nice as second screen e.g. while navigating.

Last edited by mosen; 2017-02-28 at 09:59.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Indeed. Sorry.

To clarify, I was not arguing the relative benefits of different screen sizes. To each his/her own. Rather, I maintain that the benefits of Sailfish and its gesture based interface are more obvious on a small screen. A large screen provides a lot of estate for buttons and other, more traditional controls that make the navigation easier and the operation more intuitive. This is quite crucial for attracting new customers, which is what Jolla needs like salt. They cannot survive by selling to the same 1000 customers they had since day one.

A small screen is where their interface really stands out. No space for buttons? No problem, the interface does not need them!

I would even go as far as suggesting that the best way to attract more customers to Sailfish is by introducing them to their UI via a small screen, like a smart watch or a small, sub-4" phone like Xperia Mini. Once they get used to it, they will find it difficult to move back and perhaps even start seeking it out on larger devices.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Indeed. Sorry.

To clarify, I was not arguing the relative benefits of different screen sizes. To each his/her own. Rather, I maintain that the benefits of Sailfish and its gesture based interface are more obvious on a small screen. A large screen provides a lot of estate for buttons and other, more traditional controls that make the navigation easier and the operation more intuitive. This is quite crucial for attracting new customers, which is what Jolla needs like salt. They cannot survive by selling to the same 1000 customers they had since day one.

A small screen is where their interface really stands out. No space for buttons? No problem, the interface does not need them!

I would even go as far as suggesting that the best way to attract more customers to Sailfish is by introducing them to their UI via a small screen, like a smart watch or a small, sub-4" phone like Xperia Mini. Once they get used to it, they will find it difficult to move back and perhaps even start seeking it out on larger devices.
And I can think of counter-examples where some of the unique features of sailfish works well on a large screen device where reaching the top of the screen is a pain, pulley menus for example.

Or on a tablet where removing one hand from the device, and moving it into the bottom-center to switch between apps is slow and ineffective compared to an edge swipe i can do with my thumb where its already resting.

This idea that big or small is inherently better for gestural style interaction is silly, and really it comes down to personal preference, that's all.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
This idea that big or small is inherently better for gestural style interaction is silly, and really it comes down to personal preference, that's all.
That is exactly the misunderstanding that I was trying to clarify. Not, "this screen is better for that interface", but the other way around!

Sure, gestures are nice on larger screens too once you get used to them. But why should my uncle's horse's cousin even want to get used to them? The current UI he uses right now works perfectly fine for him. But wait, what's this? A smart watch? No, I don't want one, too fiddly. Not really, you just swipe your finger across the screen to navigate. Aha, cool. I want that on my phone/tablet too!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
*snip* the best way to attract more customers to Sailfish is by introducing them to their UI via a small screen, like a smart watch or a small, sub-4" phone like Xperia Mini *snip*
Bingo.
Thank you, i lost track in my lengthy post but that should have been the essence.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, mwc 2017, sailfish os, sony xperia