Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Please, don't speak on things you clearly have no clue on....
...And do not talk about your own little experiments. If (by hypothesis) this type of damage is mainly due to extreme temperatures, overclocking has no reason to be exclude in a first approach. You obviously underestimate thermical effects. It looks like a thermic damage (same induced by chemicals) and you have no better explanation/suggestion at this time.

Last edited by iHaveNoNames; 2012-04-21 at 00:22.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by iHaveNoNames View Post
...And do not talk about your own little experiments. If (by hypothesis) this type of damage is mainly due to extreme temperatures, overclocking has no reason to be exclude in a first approach. You obviously underestimate thermical effects. It looks like a thermic damage (same induced by chemicals) and you have no best explication/suggestion at this time.
That's like saying because one can't prove how the pyramids were built, we can not rule out the idea that time-traveling space aliens were involved in their creation. One has no relation to the other.

I can tell you that the temperature needed to damage plastic at this level would also damage any LCD display on the market. The CPU has a thin top plate, a plastic frame, a keyboard, a metal shell back, sliders, another later of plastic, the LCD, and about 1mm of air between it and this outer plastic layer. Any "thermical effects" the CPU could generate that would even reach the outer layer of the device would by necessity damage at least some of those components before the heat got intense enough to cause this type of damage.

You've already been proven wrong about "perpetual high" frequency use, So tell me: If you don't even understand what overclocking does, or how it works, why are you so convinced that it could cause this?

It is far more likely to be the result of exposure to skin oils and/or UV/sunlight, both of which are known to break down plastic in this exact way. This is called crazing, and it's primary cause are UV exposure and access to oils and salt. Many salt-water fish enthusiasts (who bough acrylic vs glass tanks) and drivers of convertible cars have know of these issues for decades.

And I did mention that in the post you reference, so yes, I have a much better explanation of what this probably is, with photographic evidence (link above) to back it up. Where's your proof that this is a "thermical effects"?

So please, stop spreading FUD about overclocking when you are clearly clueless about how not only how it works, but if/how it's capable of damaging devices.

Last edited by woody14619; 2012-04-21 at 00:53.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Heat can be accumulated and can operate slowly on plastics. Heat has many origins. Materials have different resistances and reactions to the heating, heat can be transferred by conduction...

I could say you "****ing ******" (yes I could but these words are censured -_-') learn the difference between supposition and certitude, I have never been affirmative. :|
And you (we) don't know what they were doing with their device therefore, you can not state what sort of queerness they were doing, including abnormal overclocking, or other odd customizations.

"skin oils and/or UV/sunlight..." yep, I see, here, we do not use the same definition of the physics description of the heat. ^^ But indeed, we are talking about a pretty close phenomenon. Except for the peeling, it can't be only explained by UV exposure, the crazing affect the deep structure and is homogen on polymeric objects plus, it requires years of exposure, the photography shows some superficial/massive/accelerated and located damages. But skin oils and more generally dirty fingers are good candidates.

I have never spread fear, uncertainty or doubt about overclocking, and I perfectly now how it works and what are the possibles side effects. Don't be so enthusiast with that, if overclocking does revoke the warranty, that is for some reasons. That is not because your device easily support this one, that it will work for all.

PS: Slur was a sort of humor

Last edited by iHaveNoNames; 2012-04-21 at 03:06.

The white spot problem on N900 screens - is this related to heat and how to avoid this?

Keep too much UV/sunlight, external heat (approx. 40-50°C and above) and sweat away from the screen.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 270 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Bosnia and Herzegovina
Originally Posted by Maeman View Post
The white spot problem on N900 screens - is this related to heat and how to avoid this?
It is and it's almost impossible to avoid

The Following User Says Thank You to dzano For This Useful Post:
Using a screen protector should help.

Well, after 2 years of heavy abuse, my screen started to peel off (hot, hot summer - and I'm pretty sure I sweated all over it right before it started... + no screen protector). Everything still works fine though.

Question: Which parts do I need to replace?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIGITIZER-TO...#ht_1600wt_984

Is this the part I need?

Why no screen protector? Well, cause I absolutely HATE them, and the N900 doesn't really need one. In two years of heavy use (I've taken it from sea level to over 5,500 metres, from jungle to desert, and I've dropped it at least fifteen times - hell, it's even been run over by a city bus!) I only managed to get 1 scratch on the screen, and it was due to my stupidity (drunk, tried to wedge it between two rocks, and well... it didn't fit). Luckily, the scratch was under the front camera so it never really bothered me. I admire people who use screen protectors (and I realize they DO protect), but I just can't stand them.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
After almost two years of ownership, I now have this same issue... and I got it while replacing my screen protector... luckily it's just on the earpiece/light sensor area.

The Following User Says Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
I have one N900 with extreme deteriorating of the glass - will replacing the digitizer be sufficient? I thought about a cheap clone and immediately use a screen protector : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-...4AAOSwGvhUDDBx be