Posts: 5 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ush View Post
Elop did'nt kill maemo/meego/etc it was on life support before he joined Nokia, he just made the decision to pull the plug.
No, it was Elop who killed MeeGo and it came as huge shock to anyone involved since it was considered as Nokia's best hope to compete in smartphones. See for example:
https://gubertechh.wordpress.com/201...abandon-meego/

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
I'm kinda worried they might buy Nokia.
Why be worried about that? After yesterday its clear that Nokia will be in essence Microsoft's hardware unit. Everything else got killed. Does the Nokia logo matter that much, cause the logo is the only difference between future Nokia products and the products that Microsoft's handset unit would be making after the purchase of Nokia.

The same people doing the same hardware using the same software. Why care whetever it says Nokia or Microsoft on top of it? You'll still be getting the same product in both cases.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Why be worried about that? After yesterday its clear that Nokia will be in essence Microsoft's hardware unit. Everything else got killed. Does the Nokia logo matter that much, cause the logo is the only difference between future Nokia products and the products that Microsoft's handset unit would be making after the purchase of Nokia. .
Not even a hardware unit - Nokia will only be a design house for Microsoft. The phone hardware build is being farmed out as well.

It is really sad to see what was a great European corporation going downhill in such a rapid fashion.

Windows Phone 8 is going to need to be something on the second coming for it to be able to rescue the platform and Nokia with it - And I cannot see it being able to pull that off.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
But if you're a Linux fan, that's a life choice. You've chosen to follow the meritocracy that is open source and embrace it on any/all devices that you will own. It could be argued that a career choice is a life choice, but bear with me for a moment.
I love Qt, I love open source. I also love Linux, and Maemo/MeeGo to varying extents. But Qt is the thread for me that winds it all together: I wouldn't own a Maemo device if it didn't also run Qt - that's what brought me to Maemo5 in the first place (that, plus it being a phone), and that's why I ended up working on Harmattan. Qt is also why I own a PlayBook, and will buy a BB10 device when they're released.

Admittedly; my choices might be different if Qt wasn't open source because this isn't a pure white/black Qt or nothing situation, but that's not worth the conjecture I guess.

To you, it might be "just" a technical tooling choice. To me, your Maemo device is "just" a mobile choice (though, it still is the best choice, to me). Which of us is right is not an absolute, it's subjective at best, and there probably is no correct answer. Just a different perspective for you to consider.

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Because in the symbian days they did nothing to inform the world that symbian phones were smartphones. You only saw those crappy forst-crop androids and the iPhone. And symbian was better than both back then. And many more blunders.
Exactly. A typical example is the N95/8GB vs the first iphone and the G1.

The N95/8GB could SO much more than the other.

All the Iphone had was the capacitive screen, nothing else. (oh, and Steve Jobs)

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Finland
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
Exactly. A typical example is the N95/8GB vs the first iphone and the G1.

The N95/8GB could SO much more than the other.

All the Iphone had was the capacitive screen, nothing else. (oh, and Steve Jobs)
To be fair iPhone had decades better browser and email already then. Also consistent 60FPS UI was pretty impressive, compered to S60 at the time.

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
This might be Act II of the end of Nokia (Act I began when Elop stepped through the doorway) and this time next year there might not be a Nokia, or a TMO site or anything. It could all be under a different umbrella, under new ownership, branding, etc, etc, etc. Who knows. But there are a few things we do know: 2007 and the iPhone changed it all (it's all been said before, and we all understand the enormous shift in the mobile universe when that thing came along). Nokia didn't respond, it just got its head a little more comfortable way down there in the sand, churning out half-assed devices like the N97, E75 etc. Again, ground that has been fully raked in the past. Then Elop comes along and puts the bullet in Maemo and Symbian. DONE. It's all done at that point, what's left is a slow death, what we're experiencing in the community right now.
But...

even though it might now, sadly, be a matter of months before Nokia is done, we have [our N900s and] our N9s. And I for one will be swiping over that curved screen for months to come, happily swiping left and right, up and down, knowing updates are finished, but also appreciating that I'm part of a great community, with more passion for Nokia's products than even some Nokians, and until my N9 finally dies and I can't buy a replacement, I will be happy that I'm still using the best phone I've ever used.

Nokia might go, and that might be what was always going to happen no matter who was in charge. But nevermind the might haves, the could haves, the what ifs. We know that the N900 and the N9 are their best work.

And we have them.

Happy weekend everyone. Don't go rushing out to buy any boring Android black slabs this weekend

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Linus Torvalds today in finnish magazine Suomen Kuvalehti:

"Nokiasta tuli Microsoftin renki."

Translation: Nokia turned into Microsoft's farmworker.

Last edited by Rauha; 2012-06-15 at 16:59.

I know this is off topic and don't know if this was posted but if it hasn't give it a look.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nokia...-price_id31305

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Hilarious, but expected - the first 10:
14 Comments Follow
Post Comment
View options

1. kach22 posted on 2 hours ago 8

Nokia would do better if they sell stefen E(F)lop instead.

2. neutralguy posted on 2 hours ago 8

What nokia needs is not to sell it's cash cow. It needs to change it's ceo who's acting not like a ceo but cfo. Seriously, these past few days, nokia's been too risky in it's actions that may occur to it's death. -.-

3. techsavvy.jaz posted on 2 hours ago 5

Send the Elop guy back home(M$)..

4. rigorimpossible posted on 2 hours ago 5

Kickout elop and bring back meego. Elop is abnormal.

5. rigorimpossible posted on 2 hours ago 3

Kickout elop and bring back meego. Elop is abnormal.

6. thelegend6657 posted on 2 hours ago 7 1

Kick his sorry *** back to Microsoft .
He is going to turn Nokia into a Microsoft slave

7. Bluesky02 posted on 2 hours ago 1 2

Sell them to Samsung, then i'll buy Samsung Windows Phone only.

8. plgladio posted on 2 hours ago 2

Stephen F(E)LOP..

9. kanagadeepan posted on 1 hour ago 5

01, Call Symbian a burning platform
02, Throw all S60 developers away
03, Say NO more development in Meego, even if N9 sells well
04, Sell N9 to very few countries at ridiculously high price
05, Close all mfg units other than in Asia
06, Sell Lumia900 for 99$ on contract, but NO CONTRACT for Symbian808 PureView
07, Sell most of VERTU division
08, Kick out all NOKIA Veterans and bring more p0isonous breeds
09, Cut as may workers as possible saying Restructuring
10, Abortion of Meltemi saying Series40 is soooo good (True when comparing WP atleast)
11, Lay all your eggs in weak WP basket and have NO PLAN B
12, Sell patents, your last weapon

FINALLY----Sell N0KIA to M$ for DIRT-CHEAP....

Good progress Tr0jan H0rse....

--------------------------------------------------​---

ONLY N0kia can be this much stupid....

10. 7thspaceman posted on 1 hour ago

Nokia must be dying when a company starts to sell its assets like PATENTS WHICH IS THE SIGN OF A COMPANIES HARD WORK AND PROGRESS IT'S ABOUT DONE! Microsoft you had better buy Nokia now because if you donot do it now you will loose a good OEM partner with patents that has made the only Windows smart phone that made the whole smart phone industry look at with ENVY. I predict Microsoft will step in with funds to help Nokia survive. they should at least buy Nokia patents to help them out instead of letting Apple or samsung or others buy them.
And so on.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-06-15 at 13:36.

Tags
downward_spiral, fu_flop, memories