Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
This is used for indication of installation/upgrade progress (it's a proposal for freedesktop.org even), not the loading progress.
..and also exactly as its done in iOS,,

This activity kindles my spirit. Chances of me buying one of these if available currently looks pretty good.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
This is used for indication of installation/upgrade progress (it's a proposal for freedesktop.org even), not the loading progress.
Well, that sounds kinda useless for such a use case. How often does an application actually update or install while you are looking at the icon screen ?

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Well, that sounds kinda useless for such a use case. How often does an application actually update or install while you are looking at the icon screen ?
You can show updates on that screen, and user for example can initiate them right there without going into any special UI. Just a shortcut, but rather comfortable. Downloading can be tracked with a meter. Application loading is impossible to track with any sensible percentage meter, so such kind scenario is just useless.

amazing how this thread started and where its heading.

You mean people becoming Uncle Good Advice, about how Jolla should implement multitasking and updating?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
..and also exactly as its done in iOS,,
I hope they don't claim to invent this kind of thing. Software patents are very nasty.

Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
NO one is complaining just making suggestions, it's good but nor perfect working together we can hopefully help to improve it!
but here is the problem, i want my apps running in the background like they would on pc, id hate it if they decided to do something i didnt want them to randomly

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
* don't use busy waiting unless it is absolutely necessary
Uhm... when is it absolutely necessary? Any such code in applications is a bug IMHO.

Last edited by lma; 2012-07-14 at 00:25.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Uhm... when is it absolutely necessary? Any such code in applications is a bug IMHO.
Good point - can't really come with any really relevant example from top of my head where busy waiting is really indispensable. Of course, provided there adequate support on the OS & toolkit level (eq. it is possible to register callbacks on important events & data sources, has inotify or an equivalent for filesystem changes watching, etc.).

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla