Originally Posted by qgil View Post
That is Elena' master thesis done while she was working at Nokia Research Center. Yes, we all have previous lives. Don't mix this document with Maemo Harmattan plans.
Though the document is indeed interesting and I invite everyone interested in security to read it. Elena again edited the wiki page with some more information about open / closed (normal) mode btw.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
The wiki page doesn't seem to address policy - only technology, and the policy is the interesting thing. For example, as a matter of policy, will users with 'closed' mode devices be allowed to install software from maemo-extras?

Right :-) FWIW the other relevant-looking document that comes up when searching for linux and "mandatory access control" under nokia.com is this which talks about LIDS.

Anyway, although the actual mechanics of the implementation are interesting to geeks what we should be discussing openly is the policy to be implemented on top of these. There are already a few worrying things in the wiki discussion page (for example not being able to debug things on device will definitely hamper my bugzilla work). I understand the policies are not cast in stone yet, but that's exactly the right time to be discussing them.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Hi

Does anyone know if the summit video for the Maemo Security presentation is available now?

It is not listed here, but is the video hosted elsewhere?

Rich

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Just like in any serious OSS conference, uploading the videos is taking longer than expected but we are working on it. :/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Just like in any serious OSS conference, uploading the videos is taking longer than expected but we are working on it. :/
No problem, look forwading to see them all when ready.

Cheers
Rich

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yes, I hear uploading videos for silly conferences is a lot faster.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by bossyboots View Post
I understand there is an open and closed mode, but I gather that Maemo Security will use access control that is likely to be implemented below Root level, so can't Maemo 6 continue with the x-term even in closed mode? I rarely need root level access, it is more about my preference to manage files using the x-term, using it for SSH and simple geekness of having an x-term on a handheld device!
In principle it could make use of Linux containers to support "side by side" DRM and no-DRM environments, with "root" available to the no-DRM environment, but the no-DRM environment is limited in what it can do to the DRM environment.

The kernel of course could not be modified if you have a DRM environment running.

Originally Posted by jjx View Post
In principle it could make use of Linux containers to support "side by side" DRM and no-DRM environments, with "root" available to the no-DRM environment, but the no-DRM environment is limited in what it can do to the DRM environment.

The kernel of course could not be modified if you have a DRM environment running.
What I mean is that arrangement could support things like third party unsigned BlueZ PAN and DUN support which was mentioned. That would run in the no-DRM environment. As long as it doesn't need kernel changes, only system daemons, that could be made to work.

Even some third party open source kernel modules may be possible, if there's a way to isolate them by running them in a kernel in a VM guest which has controlled access to host subsystems and devices.

Ideally the security module keeping DRM and no-DRM sides apart, with only safe interactions, should stick to the bare minimum of necessary restrictions. Preferably choosing the restrictions based on what DRM-using apps require at the time.

For example, the no-DRM side should be able to intercept all network packets in and out and, say, run it through it's iptables or fancy routing/tunnelling, just as it can now on Maemo 5 as root; there is no reason to block that sort of thing.

But the no-DRM side would be blocked from modifying files that the DRM side says it requires to be signed and managed by signed programs (all the way down to the kernel), and if the no-DRM side changed any of those files (including the kernel) or break any other invariants requested by a DRM-using app, then the DRM side would see the signature for those invariants is not available.

In summary, there's some scope for more fine-grained side-by-side behaviour than simply booting into DRM vs. no-DRM modes. It can resemble more closely a finer grained traditional or role-based security module, with signatures for fine-grained invariants which DRM-using apps request, which are granted only of no apps is breaking them at the time (or might have broken them earlier, depending on the particular invariant). And switching between modes can be more fine grained too.

The one thing which seems unavoidable is third party open kernels may not be able to provide any invariants to DRM-using apps - unless there is some trick of the hardware which can do that which is beyond even the kernel to defeat.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
lbt's blog (thanks, qgil) raised a good point that has bothered me for a while now. With all of its new telephony features, the N900 can be seriously exploited by hackers, and we're going to have to work as a community to, as qgil said, encourage Extras apps and discourage the use of random, unknown repositories.

Having seen how easy it is to make a silly app for Facebook and get everyone to use it, it sends shivers down my spine to think of how hackers could post an .install file that points to a malicious repository full of nasty trojans and exploits disguised as fun little games.
I agree and think this could become a big issue fast.

Android has non-standard changes to Linux, I'm guessing to help address this sort of thing.

Fortunately Linux provides containers and they are getting almost mature now ;-) which could be used for sandboxing even quite low-level apps with no significant loss in performance. For most apps, I'd expect they could run in a container quite well. They can still share libraries (Gtk, Qt etc.), including sharing the memory at run time with code outside the container or in other containers, and sharing config files, if the files are managed well.

The Following User Says Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:

Tags
drm, harmattan, maemo 6, windows