Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
13 posts merged from "Improving App. Manager experience".
Give a call for the title change.
I moved my solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Solution added for another application manager issue - Notification of Application Installed.

The Following User Says Thank You to chrisp7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Closer to the Ubuntu app manager? Me likez

Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
Closer to the Ubuntu app manager? Me likez
Closer to Android - thats the perfect solution imo.

I also thought perhaps this 'basket' idea could be slightly modified and extended to the 'update' section. A tickbox could be added next to each application, allowing multiple selection of application updates and an 'update all selected' box. This would work with the same basket/queuing solution (a la Android).

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia, Moscow
Currently application manager spends some time refreshing repository info on slow connections every time it starts or when user press update option. In CLI you run "apt-get update" once and then other actions take much less time of you close application and open again or just want to update.

* Make automatic update an option.
* Make an app menu button - "update now" in case manual mode is set
* Ask user to update when application starts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Elhana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Elhana View Post
Currently application manager spends some time refreshing repository info on slow connections every time it starts or when user press update option. In CLI you run "apt-get update" once and then other actions take much less time of you close application and open again or just want to update.

* Make automatic update an option.
* Make an app menu button - "update now" in case manual mode is set
* Ask user to update when application starts.
Nice idea.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Like other brainstorms, http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ll_basket-002/ is starting to become just too vague, with very different ideas put at the same level.

Solution #4: "Application Installed" notification - this could be almost sold as a bug at http://bugs.maemo.org

Solution #7: Option to update repository data manually - isn't all this implemented already?

Solution #8: shortcut keys - it's having actually two ideas in one:

> Up and down keys should go... up and down.
Right.

> Typing a word should go to that position in the list. E.g. typing
> V will scroll down the applications that start with V.

Yes, and this one is already implemented in a recent internal release.

So what are we supposed to do with the brainstorm? It makes sense to split it in different proposals. There is one clear about being able to install/unistall/update groups of applications. There is another one about the listings: info and sorting.

You guys should consider the relevance of each proposal and the number of votes it has since users aren't tied to vote one proposal alone.

Solution #1 though should be prioritized since it's also reported as a bug/enhancement and has another 40 or more votes in bugzilla.

Solution #4 is good too since I always asked myself, why refresh the repos since I've done this 2 minutes ago - simply remove the installed apps from the list - If the user thinks something new has shown up he can refresh by himself.

I also liked Solution #5 but we actually have an app for that don't we? App watch? - something similar anyway.

For the rest... I suggest more votes, or separating them in another brainstorm, to start working on this one.

Last edited by Bec; 2010-01-17 at 11:29. Reason: Solution 1 actually has 42 votes in bugzilla!

The Following User Says Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Nobody is tied to anything when it come to Brainstorm votes but all we have a common interest of efficiency. The topic of this thread reads "[Under consideration] Improving App-Manager: download/Install basket, which is a proposal much concrete than "Application manager - Improving user experience", even if still you could consider it vague.

The main point of the Brainstorm is to detect one problem and discuss the possible solutions. Like with bug reports, the more you stay on focus for a report the more chances you have of finding the right solutuon and implement it. We have a trend currently of converting brainstorm proposals in a kind of survey to see what people think about a very wide problem. This is useful to get a first grasp e.g. about what to improve the Application Manager but then it comes to a point where the lack of focus is a problem.

It's clear that a proposal is to be able to install/uninstall/update a selected group of apps at a time. This already conforms a good brainstorm proposal. If there are more proposals for other problems then I believe it's better to address them in different brainstorm proposals.