Active Topics

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Maine & Florida - USA
Very nice video comparison. Looking forward to PT II.

Very curious about keyboard usability (flat keyboard, no key spacing, minimal space above top key row) & GPS

Good vid! Also looking forward to pt 2.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
One thing I would say is that your video highlights why a raised bezel around a touchscreen is not a good thing - look at how much filth there is in the corners of your screen! Hopefully the next NIT device launched by Nokia will have a facia flush with the touchscreen!

Looking Out To The Sequel....:d

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Minnesota
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
One thing I would say is that your video highlights why a raised bezel around a touchscreen is not a good thing - look at how much filth there is in the corners of your screen! Hopefully the next NIT device launched by Nokia will have a facia flush with the touchscreen!
Good point.

The next-gen screen surface had better be more durable, too. After a mere nine months, my n800 screen is marred from ordinary usage. This has changed my appreciation for the product which in most other areas has been superb.

The video may highlight one argument against raised bezels, but it's an argument easily taken care of with the periodic washings I find necessary anyway to keep fingerprints reasonably under control.
My argument in favor of raised bezels is an HP49 with a broken display. It got the broken display while in its semirigid leather & fiberboard case. This should not happen, and never happened to my HP48 in its soft case.
The reason? Someone at HP though their calculators would look better with a clear window flush-mounted over the display of the original HP49. The airgap they left in the original caused internal reflections, which many users hated. So, for the redesign, they did not go back to the old style with a raised bezel; they placed the screen at the front of the device, directly under a thin window. The screen is now crunchable, and, by Murphy's law, eventually will get crunched.
I love the N800's (and N810's) raised bezel. It's deep enough to provide protection against crushing by flat surfaces. Nothing will stop all possible damage, but a whole lot of possibilities are prevented with a moderate bezel.
Maybe I'm just too rough on my gadgets, but I say...
Bezels FTW!

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Reggie,

Wanted to take a moment to thank you for such a wonderful preview of the N810. Looks like a great product. I had been thinking about getting an N 800 at a fire-sale price, but your review convinced me to wait for the N810. As a dyed-in-the-wool TH55 user, I gotta say that the N810 looks like a suitable replacement for the venerable Clie.

Keep up the good work!

Tony

Hey Tony,

Great to see you here. The N810 has a keyboard, GPS, and a superior screen. The N800 is less than half the price however and you can flash it soon with the same OS the N810 is using (OS2008). If you don;t need the GPS and an onscreen keyboard works for you, the N800 is a great buy.

Reggie

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Thanks!

No subliminal messages that I'm aware of... lol. The music is part of a royalty free music collection that we purchased. Of course there is the possibility.
Wow, It had sound? I guess I had my PC speakers tunred off video seemed kinda long and could have used some power up shots.