Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Looks like they really took older initfs from 2.2006.39, not newer one from 3.2006.49. Might be useful to reflash to newer one as it has updated wi-fi drivers. Maybe kernel is older too? I wonder why they did this.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Hmmmm ...

initfs on HE 4.2007.36 is the same as OS2006 2.2006.39 (previous release of OS 2006). That why I got differences with the last release of OS 2006 3.2006.49 ...

So I guest I should reinstall OS 2006 3.2006.49 (last OS 2006 release) initfs since it look like the newest release.

kind of my mistake ... sorry for that

Kos

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ abuja, nigeria (currently)
looks very nice, still experimenting. thank you Fanoush.

one general query:

where do I put the dropbear keys on the n800 for the flasher so it won't regen them every login? do they need to be renamed from e.g. 'dropbear_rsa_host_key', or am I looking at the wrong thing altogether? sorry for ignorance...

thanks,
rob.

Originally Posted by robmiller View Post
where do I put the dropbear keys on the n800 for the flasher so it won't regen them every login? do they need to be renamed from e.g. 'dropbear_rsa_host_key', or am I looking at the wrong thing altogether?
keys are taken from /etc/dropbear, it is easiest to simply have dropbear installed in rootfs too. But you can copy them to /mnt/initfs/etc/dropbear by hand. Or when logged in to initfs you can copy temporary generated ones from /tmp/*host_key to /etc/dropbear/ (perhaps creating /etc/dopbear before)

do you see random shutdowns when in initfs with n800?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ abuja, nigeria (currently)
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
you can copy them to /mnt/initfs/etc/dropbear by hand.
this proved easiest for me as I have openssh installed, tho only on this occasion do I have a desire for a feature dropbear doesn't supply (sshfs support).

do you see random shutdowns when in initfs with n800?
no, and my longest connection was at least 18 minutes or so.

I created /etc/fstab in initfs to have this line:

/dev/mtdblock4 /mnt/new_root jffs2 defaults 0 0

thus I can do the mount of the internal flash fs easily. others may want to take note of the command

mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock4 /mnt/new_root/

to mount it directly during an ssh session into the initfs.

I must say that I think this is an absolutely *brilliant* addition and will very likely save me highly undesired re-flashes in the future. with no dpkg available it is probably more than a normal user would be up for to recover from a wsod situation depending on how they got to it, but for me and my 'stupid root tricks' it will probably be just the thing . even so, having it around to be able to grab sources.list and perhaps some application data on the flash might prove a big timesaver for some.

is this entirely a capability of the intfs contents, or is it the bootloader or something deeper? my thought is towards the feasibility of being able to get to this (and the bootmenu) capacity immediately after a full re-flash. this isn't entirely necessary as one could have xterm, ssh, initfs_flasher perhaps waiting on mmc/sd for install, but for someone custom configuring several ITs at once it might be pretty desirable.

thanks again,

rob.

is this entirely a capability of the intfs contents?
Yes. Once you reflash initfs, it is lost.
for someone custom configuring several ITs at once it might be pretty desirable.
You can prepare initfs with bootmenu on one clean device and then copy created initfs.bootmenu.jffs2 image to PC and flash it with Nokia linux flasher to the rest of devices after you flash them with full firmware.

anyone got the usb recovery mode working with N900?

i tried the howto from http://metalab.at/wiki/Hack-A-N900/Usb_Recovery_Mode without sucess.

regards, zement

Tags
what's an n770?