Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
And that Canvas suggests that the Harmattan leak from May was genuine. Imagine four of those stacked side-by-side.

Regards,
Roger
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
For those that don't understand what the "Canvas" means, it's actually an old concept - Scrolling Desktop.
You can test it on you desktop to see how it might work. Just get a small monitor with low resolution.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that's makes more sense! with the pictures that is provided by Eiffel and ColdFusion's explanation.
About using small monitor, It happens also when you use higher resolution than your monitor supports (The visible desktop will be following the mouse position).

Edit: Laughing Man got it first! (by 13 minutes! - Blame my breakfast + for opening this tab). Still, it also happens on Windows.
Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding

Last edited by f(x); 2009-10-11 at 03:21.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
I guess it could behave as the n900, where it seems to snap to the majority 'desktop' on removal of input.

Also, one could have a zoom out...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Hmm, ok so I'm beginning to see what you mean. It's something similar to if you specify a resolution bigger then your monitor in Linux (something you have to do sometimes to get around limitations when using dual monitors) combined with the idea of virtual desktops but instead of having to switch between each of them (well you still are, but now it's just panning around instead of switching between them with a keypress).
Or like this: a 320x240 resolution because of X configuration error (1, 2). Oh, the memories.. and nightmares..

You can have a virtual screen (desktop), which is screen area that is larger than the physical screen and which is panned by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen. If you don't want virtual desktop at a certain resolution, you cannot have modes listed that are larger. Each color depth can have a differently-sized virtual screen

Please answer the following question with either 'y' or 'n'.

Do you want a virtual screen that is larger than the physical screen?
Its also explained here.

So this is a feature which has long existed in X, and was once a time quite useful.

Problem is that it didn't have that 'sticky' feature, like for example Winamp has traditionally had. So, because it didn't have that, and ofcourse the desktop windows didn't have pre-defined sizes and such, it went like madness scrolling. Made me crazy, never fully recovered..

Something like Expose tries to solve this, by placing the windows intelligently in unused desktop space. But there is lack of pre-defined window sizes, and if you run Dashboard in background (you don't, its not there) it covers that data.

So, in order for this to be useful, you'd need some hard rules in the HIG and more make it feel like 'browsing' your desktop (or an app, like a calendar). A bit like iPhone allows you to browse through the several pages of apps installed. Except in this context its much more useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
Personally, I don't think I'd like to use the canvas concept. It looks like it would be too easy to get lost, and it seems like a long way to scroll corner to corner.

4 screens seems pretty optimal to me, but I'm just one user. How much testing have you done on this?
Got it. Maybe, showing the UI illustration first with multiple homescreens filled with many widgets wasn't the easiest way to communicate the UI concept to developers. I posted the slides from the Friday morning presentation on slideshare. Take another look at the UI images, in particular the ones that show just one display view. You should see how simple and clean things can be.

http://www.slideshare.net/peterschne...ogy-highlights

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
is that a beholder in he games widget?

The canvas is exactly like what the drawing canvas on liqbase started out with - a larger are which is scrollable (of course in liqbase its only scrollable vertically).

Nice to see portable devices supporting such concepts.
And peter, thanks for that slide - very nice demonstrated what a canvas can be.

If canvas is comparable to down scrollable web page - why not, I can not say how it would feel. It is not far from the current concept with that kind of magnetic attraction/attachment - would be nice to have both. But if it is similar as X-windows virtual desktop - a peek hole scrolling in two dimensions - never liked, if was difficult to navigate.