I apologize if these questions have been answered in another thread. I did not find anything definitive.

1. If the unit is not going to be used within say 20 minutes, what is recommended procedure for "sleeping" the N800 so that the battery drain is minimized? (I assume going off-line would be necessary)

2. How much battery power is saved by doing what is recommended in 1. as opposed to a complete shutdown?

Looking for folks experience with this since the Nokia documentation seems to be lacking in this area.

Thanks!
/Rich

1. Offline Mode
2. Lock screen

Also, if you take out SD card from external slot, it really increases battery life. I'm operating with only 128mb card right now, and it seems like n800 lasts forever

I put mine into deep sleep by editing the mce.ini file so that a long keypress on the power button puts it into that mode.
Search around in here for that one. Much faster than short keypress and menu select.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by iball View Post
I put mine into deep sleep by editing the mce.ini file so that a long keypress on the power button puts it into that mode.
Search around in here for that one. Much faster than short keypress and menu select.
I made a (probably very bad) howto in this post:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...3&postcount=20

on how a total newbee could change the behaviour of the powerkey, so that one can put the N800 to sleep with one keypress.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by distguitar View Post
Also, if you take out SD card from external slot, it really increases battery life. I'm operating with only 128mb card right now, and it seems like n800 lasts forever
This is really weird. Unless there was some program/daemon scanning the card periodically, i cannot immagine why it would make a difference: there are sensors in both the back cover and the external mmc cover that are used to detect when the memory card could be removed.

Did you happen to keep the unit connected to a pc over usb?

I cannot think of anything else.

anyone else confirm this? I only need the one memory card, and if it helps that much...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by igor View Post
Unless there was some program/daemon scanning the card periodically
There is the metaplayer-crawler process of course, which can sometimes go nuts consuming large amounts of CPU when corrupted files or file systems are encountered... bug #978 seems to have addressed this issue to some extent, although I still might be possible for a corrupt file system to confuse metaplayer-crawler.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
bug #978 seems to have addressed this issue to some extent, although I still might be possible for a corrupt file system to confuse metaplayer-crawler.
Right, I would recommend to reopen the bug if the problem resurfaces, although the only reliable way to test it is to measure how many days it takes to drain a full battery, by leaving the device (disconnected) alone. And it should be done twice, on the same device, w/ and w/o mmc.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
Originally Posted by iball View Post
Is deep sleep the same as soft poweroff? I enabled the 'Reboot' and 'Soft Poweroff' options in my power menu per the instructions found here in the forums. I really like having those options, but I don't like having to hit the down key 4 times and then the center button to activate soft poweroff.

By the way, some more easy ways to save power besides the above mentioned:

1. Make sure your WLAN timeout is set very low, so it turns off quickly when not in use. It will reconnect only if needed.

2. Also make sure WLAN doesn't automatically scan and connect to access points.

3. If you use the RSS feed reader, in the preferences, you can set it to automatically update less often, or you can do it manually.

I hope the next version of the N800 has an ambient light sensor, because I am constantly adjusting the brightness up and down depending on where i am using it and the available lighting. My iPhone has this feature, as have most of my WinMo devices, and it really helps with power savings.

Originally Posted by igor View Post
This is really weird. Unless there was some program/daemon scanning the card periodically, i cannot immagine why it would make a difference: there are sensors in both the back cover and the external mmc cover that are used to detect when the memory card could be removed.

Did you happen to keep the unit connected to a pc over usb?

I cannot think of anything else.
No, just had Patriot 8gb card in mmc1 and after it got chewed up by n800, I work without it. Battery _seems_ to run much longer.