Notices

I finally managed to get my N900 stuck on a reboot loop while trying to install the latest kernel power boot image (so it can work with multiboot).

The latest kernel power has rendered the original nokia kernel useless (the entry does not work) so I am unable to boot back up.

Thankfully, I had Backupmenu installed.

I've managed to get USB Networking working, ping it successfully, start up an ssh server and even start up the usb console but I am stuck. What are the credentials in order to SSH into my n900? What is the default password? I've searched for about an hour and have not been able to find conclusive results. I know what I need to fix and what files to scp into my n900 but I am unable to get access to it.

Edit: Nevermind, I ended up fixing the problem.

Last edited by jessi3k3; 2012-07-03 at 03:58.

I had my N900 device stuck with a "no files/folders" issue
and told to backup rootfs and optfs to emmc using BackupMenu
and then run the 'fsck' on all partitions command to repartition it
so errors will be fixed and emmc and SDcard should mount.

well, I did it .
BUT......
when I've run fcsk all partitions .....nothing happens !!
as i reboot i still got no access to device nor SD.

Am I missing something ? should i do anything else ?

Help? Backupmenu stopped working for me.

I'm having a problem with restoring my n900 - I had a documented, working procedure (see --> http://pastebin.com/9XL8HbR4 <--) that involved flashing the VANILLA, then COMBINED images, updating to Maemo5, installing kernel-power and backup menu then restoring from backup.

All in all, it took maybe around a couple of hours while doing other things besides.

It no longer works! After restoring my image, the phone goes into a boot loop.

Since this might have something to do with backup menu versions, I've tried a backup from April 28 and July 4, but they both do the same thing. It's safe to assume backupmenu was up to date at the time those images were created, and I've definitely used the April 28 one successfully before.

Flashing in just the COMBINED image will get the phone up in Maemo 1.2 with some stuff like my contacts intact, but PLEASE help if I'm missing something here as I really do not want to do tweaking configuration that took months over again by hand.

Hard to say, without more details Maybe You should go into root console ("t" from backupmenu main menu), and try extracting backup archives manually, via mounting rootfs and optfs, then, using gtar? I wonder if it really extract BOTH archives. One for sure, as otherwise it wouldn't be looping... Still if You see progress and no errors it is.

If extracting process goes OK, it's not thing related to backupmenu, and Your backups are screwed, somehow. Of course, You can also use root console to fix it *after* restoration - vi is powerful tool But, first, You would need to know what is causing it.

Maybe You have framebuffer enabled in KP? Try recording video of rolling text, and see why it shuts down/reboots? If no, you can renable framebuffer via same method - root console, mounting rootfs, and editing appropriate file. You need to modprobe fbcon early in preinit - search forum for detailed instructions.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by tehowe View Post
Help? Backupmenu stopped working for me.

I'm having a problem with restoring my n900 - I had a documented, working procedure (see --> http://pastebin.com/9XL8HbR4 <--) that involved flashing the VANILLA, then COMBINED images, updating to Maemo5, installing kernel-power and backup menu then restoring from backup.
Is the kernel-power version you're installing the same as on the backup image? If not then you'll be missing the correct modules and a reboot loop would be a likely result.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Is the kernel-power version you're installing the same as on the backup image? If not then you'll be missing the correct modules and a reboot loop would be a likely result.
Thanks Rob1n that'll be it right there as kernel-power got updated about a week ago IIRC. Argh. That's a big stumbling block but seems unavoidable.

It looks like there's some info on downgrading kernel-power in this thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72893

With a command of the sort eg; root@n900# apt-get install kernel-power=2.6.28-maemo46 though of course that's way out dated (no one use this command!)

I will proceed with caution and try to figure this out. *eep*

The Following User Says Thank You to tehowe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by tehowe View Post
Thanks Rob1n that'll be it right there as kernel-power got updated about a week ago IIRC. Argh. That's a big stumbling block but seems unavoidable.

It looks like there's some info on downgrading kernel-power in this thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72893

With a command of the sort eg; root@n900# apt-get install kernel-power=2.6.28-maemo46 though of course that's way out dated (no one use this command!)

I will proceed with caution and try to figure this out. *eep*
You could:
Download the right package from
http://maemo.org/packages/view/kernel-power/
(match the backup dates with those on the kernel)

Extract the kernel.

Restore rootfs & optfs then shutdown.

Then use Flasher to flash the kernel only.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by em28 View Post
I had my N900 device stuck with a "no files/folders" issue
no idea, what that issue is -- care to elaborate?
what does
mount
say?

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
You could:
Then use Flasher to flash the kernel only.
Or even more easy, but only available if you got multiboot with backupmenu-multiboot installed on your device:
boot with kb out and choose the matching kernel to start/flash (indeed the one you used last is best for first try, as it will flash that kernel and reboot. or if you like to go stock again, just select that).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
It would be cool if there was just an option in BackupMenu to also backup the kernel when you do a Rootfs + Optfs backup and also restore the lot (including flashing the kernel) when you need to.

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system