Poll: What is your opinion about the migration to Moblin/RPM
Poll Options
What is your opinion about the migration to Moblin/RPM

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by next5 View Post
ARM is better CPU for small portable devices, not better generally.
Well technically 686 is a ridiculous monster, ARM is a very nice RISC. I've coded assembly for both.

Apparently nokia / meego will support both anyway. hopefully we can bring the best of rpm deb arm x86 maemo moblin gtk and qt together in one awesome OS! it has to run apt and support installing stuff from sid. So long as we can call it Maemo 6 or 7 not meego, I don't like that name much!

Originally Posted by sswam View Post
Apparently nokia / meego will support both anyway. hopefully we can bring the best of rpm deb arm x86 maemo moblin gtk and qt together in one awesome OS! it has to run apt and support installing stuff from sid. So long as we can call it Maemo 6 or 7 not meego, I don't like that name much!
Although RPM and DEB are technically similar (just sort of archive), the real difference is between RPM and Dpkg. Truth is, RPM guys thinks Dpkg is wrong by design, and Dpkg guys thinks the same about RPM. For example RPM forces non-interactive installation. Dpkg installations are interactive with built in configuration. In my opinion configuration process built into the package installation itself is completely foolish. Debian guys like it. How can you bring the best of both tools, when two major parts of users can not find consensus what is "the best" I think, this is exactly the reason why we have multiple package management tools.

Apt question is the same. I can easily proof, that APT is technically the worst dependency solver available. And in addition to that, it has completely chaotic syntax. Why do you think Apt4RPM is abandoned, and no distribution officially use it?

The Following User Says Thank You to next5 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
some of their arguments are:

* who needs a large software pool? who needs "bind" on a smartphone?
Hey! i have bind9 on my n900 and i really need it!

* Maemo users and developers will adapt anyway
Maybe yes. But what about people than bought an n900 with the deb/apt as the primary reason cause debian fanatics like me?

* who cares?
A lot of people as i can see.

Originally Posted by nextime View Post
what about people than bought an n900 with the deb/apt as the primary reason cause debian fanatics like me?
Well, if the primary reason you're buying it is because of the package manager and not the fact that it's an unlocked Linux based phone that employs many very mature open source technologies paired with awesome hardware, then you might be buying it for slightly skewed reasons

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by nextime View Post
Maybe yes. But what about people than bought an n900 with the deb/apt as the primary reason cause debian fanatics like me?
You can stick to good old Maemo.
Because MeeGo's apps will be developed in Qt, it will be bloody easy to backport them to Maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Device users don't use deb or rpm, they use software. Packaging is like the wrapping paper on packages - whether the wrapping paper is floral or plain doesn't affect my enjoyment of the contents of the package.

Dave.

The Following User Says Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Ah, but your enjoyment of the contents of the package may be hindered if the dependency on batteries (not included) is not satisfied when Santa drops your present down the chimney.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
Ah, but your enjoyment of the contents of the package may be hindered if the dependency on batteries (not included) is not satisfied when Santa drops your present down the chimney.
Or if the contents break when he drops them.

Neither deb or rpm include batteries, or drop packages, though, so...

Dave.

Tags
rabble-rousing, rpm vs. deb war, rpmligion vs debligion, vote attila77