Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
This kickstarter project started yesterday

Omata Cycling Computer

A beautiful analogue cycling computer with GPS functionality and download capability. I want one but IMHO the price is $100 too high.

Has gained a lot of support in 24hrs so looks like it will be a go. Product expected Feb 2017.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Neat idea, uses GPS & digital computing inside, outside has mechanical dials driven by stepper actuators

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Some arduino components including gauge steppers, a 3D printer, maybe a laser cutter for the glass, lost PLA(printed) casting for an aluminum case, a laser printer on a poly sheet for the dial. An amateur maker with time could do this for about $100-150, though perhaps not as thin or as pretty.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Oh, but for mere $3,000, you get a private breakfast and post-ride dinner, plus a full day with Fabian, whoever he/she/it is.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Oh, but for mere $3,000, you get a private breakfast and post-ride dinner, plus a full day with Fabian, whoever he/she/it is.
Jolla should have offered a deal like this, id love a full day with Antti and the crew.

The Following User Says Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
In the good old days, Nokia might have done this themselves. I've had a couple of their DC-14 Bicycle chargers which were cheap and cheerful if you just wanted something to charge your old brick. They were less useful with smartphones.

I'll pass on this though as I'm weirdly really bad at perceiving analogue displays - some kind of really specific form of dyscalculia perhaps. It takes me 20 seconds+ to tell the time on an analogue clock face and even then I may get it wrong. I can take in the 5 or 6 bits of info on my current bike computer (a VDO M4 - http://www.cycleparts.de/en/produkte/m4.html ) instantly.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Just as an fyi:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fabi...hrome&ie=UTF-8

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post: