Notices

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Yeah, this could have been an awesome addition

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Originally Posted by hillbicks View Post
I guess it's safe to say that this project is dead.

Last update on git for shepherd was made on Thursday July 08 2010, last update on the shepherd plugins was made on Sunday August 15 2010.

I will have a look at the code that is released so far, maybe it is already usable.

Anyway, this is really, really sad. This is the one application I was absolutely excited about. Maybe, hopefully, someone will pick up where atilla and ecksun left.
Im still interested in developing it

Atilla have patches in his local sandbox which contains the gui and some other small but nescesary stuff, which i think is working. All other parts are in place, he just needs to push that to gitorious.

I have been trying to get ahold of him, unsuccessfully, so he can push that code and I, or somebody else, can finish the project.

The reason I haven't written the code myself is simply because I havent had the time with my studies.

If you think you can help, with anything, plz tell me (irc is a good place to start)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ecksun For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
I'd still love this app to come to some kind of fruition, to accomplish a few things that reduce annoyances or just make life easier and lazier, and I've actually started looking around for python/c++ code to do the locationy stuff by celltower (even if it just groups towers under your own label rather than looking up location online/caching result) to see if I can't hack a script together (though not as nice in the long term).

I don't want to run my gps much/at all if I'm not needing any accuracy in position, I really don't want to suck the battery like it does through checking regularly; but to be able to show certain things automatically (timetable/which platform) or connect to the home wifi as I get there would be great without any interaction during certain times of day.

The thing I don't like about the way the setting for the wifi auto-connect for the N900 is that it hops onto any free wifi it can find, whether they're usable or not. That often messes with your perfectly valid connection. In London, we have lots of open wifi networks like the cloud and bt openzone that I mostly can't use; but I still want to jump from 3G to wifi when I get home. If only I could say auto-connect to wifi ONLY when its one of _these_ networks (or even only when its a secure network with known key - that seems a sensible option to provide, at less effort). Running scripts just once when I get within my home's group of celltowers between say 6pm and 8pm would be the slightly more complex way of doing that, and auto-texting my g/f that I'll be back in a certain time as I leave the office if its hometime would be great too (dont do it at lunch when I pop out!)

Attila - please commit your local updates, or maybe even tar them up and send them to someone you trust on here if you have good reasons not to publish them yet. Pretty please? I'll aim to help (not a promise, Im often lazy and busy).

I'd have a stab at writing/making functional any UI for it that exists already (dont really know QT yet, but can sorta do Gtk and might learn qml or qt for this). Not yet done any C++ dev for N900 but plenty of python and shell script and a very willing Ubuntu desktop at home to do it with :-)

PS.

Bump!

The Following User Says Thank You to jgbreezer For This Useful Post:
Aha! I just discovered that Queen Bee Con (link=to wiki) widget can now do GPS and cell tower location; but the interface at first glance looks rather complicated and needs numbers typing in; this might be able to do what I want, sure I can combine that to control DCEW info shown for timed/location-based info display (DCEW better at more voluminous data).

Shepherd would still be awesome to have, and support the power charge level/charging status sensor and other things (sounds more customisable to add other triggers and complex rules too). But in case anyone else was hunting for something like that thought I'd refer you to check it out (like I'm still doing, so dunno how useful it'll be).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jgbreezer For This Useful Post:
Ok, so I still wanna see this - at least on my N900 if not a whole bunch a' others. Failure to try other apps/make them work to do similar and yearning to learn Qt a bit means I've cloned Attila's git repositories and the plugins one that was being worked on. Not yet got further than that and haven't yet compiled anything for N900 - had a scratchbox and Qt dev env on my Linux box though for a while.

Please don't expect anything/much to come of this, as initial half-enthusiasm on my part will likely die away - but if either of you guys who wrote bits on this are still reading, I'd love a tip or two or status update. Failing that, I read some recent commit logs and try building it...

Am experienced C++ / Python dev in general but limited experience with UIs and the Qt 'slot' based way (just some Gtk in python before, on the N900 but a fairly simple app with a few 'tabs' and a scrollable list on each one dynamically generated).

In fact any other help on setting up scratchbox to work with latest working version of Qt on the phone/PC simulating environment would be great, got to hunt down the wiki entries/docs for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jgbreezer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jgbreezer View Post
Ok, so I still wanna see this - at least on my N900 if not a whole bunch a' others. Failure to try other apps/make them work to do similar and yearning to learn Qt a bit means I've cloned Attila's git repositories and the plugins one that was being worked on. Not yet got further than that and haven't yet compiled anything for N900 - had a scratchbox and Qt dev env on my Linux box though for a while.

Please don't expect anything/much to come of this, as initial half-enthusiasm on my part will likely die away - but if either of you guys who wrote bits on this are still reading, I'd love a tip or two or status update. Failing that, I read some recent commit logs and try building it...

Am experienced C++ / Python dev in general but limited experience with UIs and the Qt 'slot' based way (just some Gtk in python before, on the N900 but a fairly simple app with a few 'tabs' and a scrollable list on each one dynamically generated).

In fact any other help on setting up scratchbox to work with latest working version of Qt on the phone/PC simulating environment would be great, got to hunt down the wiki entries/docs for it.
I'd love to help, you can find me on freenode if you would like to chat.

I dont remember much about scratchbox, though I think there is some installer nokia provides with all the tools you need (probably even scratchbox). Though I have used Qt even after shepherd, in both c++ and python, so i can probably help you out there

I have written some on the problems I had with scratchbox, check them out here.

Awesome! Glad you're still around Ecksun, I presume Attila is still nowhere to be seen. Oh well. This week has been really incredibly busy at work with a release due to a big client, but if I can catch you sometime on irc/find time to write a message when I've had a closer look, perhaps next week (ish), I will.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Budapest
Hi jgbreezer,

I've just read this thread.
I am interested in developing Shepherd too, unfortunately at the moment I'm very busy in a project, but I hope I'll have free-time later this year to contribute something.

If you are still trying to develop it, please keep informing us here. I hope later can join you and help in some fields, I also have experience in C++/Py development.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Paris
Hello there, any news on the go ?

We discussed something similar here: http://wiki.maemo.org/Proximus

and I started writing some skeleton code here: https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...?root=proximus

I've been rather busy since my daughter was born (almost exactly 4 months ago, pretty much in-line with the last commit), but will try to get back to this over the Christmas break after I get a vaguely usable version of mBarcode out for Harmattan.

If people like the ideas, etc., then please join in, the more the merrier (certainly easier than just one-man for motivation!)

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:

Tags
cron, power save, scheduling, shepherd