Active Topics

Notices

OK,
Here's a new port (I think). And it's the best kind. It took almost no work to do. :-)

It's a simple fun game, and plays well, with sound on my 770.

EDIT: I now have a package install, you can go here and grab it:

http://home.comcast.net/~villaesc/ma....0.1.2.all.deb

desiv

p.s. I did a search for formido and maemo and 770, etc and only found a link to it on armins page as a port candidate. :-)

Last edited by desiv; 2008-05-06 at 03:46. Reason: Updated link

The Following User Says Thank You to desiv For This Useful Post:
Screenshot? even a link to game description somewhere?
Marketing is crucial...

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Screenshot? even a link to game description somewhere?
Marketing is crucial...
OK, packaging, I have to learn, but links I can do! :-)

http://koti.mbnet.fi/lsoft/formido/formido.html

That's a link to the original page.

Here's a shot (from that page)

It looks the same on the tablet. :-)

Hey, it was late and I was tired. :-)

desiv

edit - OK, and a short description. As far as I can tell, the game is that screen. There's no scrolling or anything. Basically, you spin around left/right. You go forward and back (I think back, I don't know if I've tried. :-). You shoot bugs. You try to pick up boosts, so you can shoot more bugs.
It kind of feels like a fun flash game, except it's not flash. :^)

Last edited by desiv; 2008-04-09 at 15:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to desiv For This Useful Post:
OK, they said it couldn't be done.
Well, I said it.. Alot.. when I was trying to make a package... That, and alot of other stuff I can't repeat...
BUT.... I did!!! Yeah!!!!

It's here: http://home.comcast.net/~villaesc/ma....0.1.2.all.deb

It's 3MB in size. It takes about 3MB on the root FS to install.
It asks you where you want to put the data, MMC1 or MMC1 (Thanx ukki and arnims!). And then it takes 17MB on your MMC card.
Then it deletes the 2.9MB compressed data file, so it only takes a few hundred K on the root FS.

It asks you where on the menu you want it, and you can run it from the menu!!!
(Well, I can. Rather small test base so far.. :-)

Give it a shot!

See if you can beat my high score, of... er.. 8.. :-( OK, I didn't say I was any good!! :-)

desiv

Last edited by desiv; 2008-05-06 at 03:47. Reason: Updated link for new version.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Hey, nice game. It's pretty fun but there are a couple of problems. First, it wont save any scores and it wont store my configurations. It just exits out as soon as I enter my name then press 'Enter'

Oh, by the way, my score is 11 so far.

The Following User Says Thank You to Munk For This Useful Post:
Yeah, I just noticed that the config file is owned by root.
Weird, because it's owned by user in the original path.
Anyway, I'll fix that. But for now, you can tweak it.

From xterm, as root, try this:
chown user:users .formido/formido.cfg

Of course, this assumes the user account is "user" on all the tablets...

Not sure about the high scores. Might be rights/ownership on the .formido directory.
If it is, try this:
chown user:users .formido

I'll tweak the install and update it. I swear, the creation of a package is the worst part!! ;-)

Thanx,

desiv

p.s. I've not been able to even get to a power-up.

Last edited by desiv; 2008-05-03 at 06:07.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
It's 3MB in size. It takes about 3MB on the root FS to install.
It asks you where you want to put the data, MMC1 or MMC1 (Thanx ukki and arnims!). And then it takes 17MB on your MMC card.
Then it deletes the 2.9MB compressed data file, so it only takes a few hundred K on the root FS.
ukki helped me a LOT with getting that done with ROTT . I think ukki devised a brilliant system.

Anyway, nice game, thanks, will try it as soon as I digg out my charger :P

Of course, this assumes the user account is "user" on all the tablets...
Tis on my N800 with OS2008 so I would assume it's its the same in N810. Actually once, I used adduser to make a new account on my n800 so I could use framebuffer mod and chvt 1 running getty to log in. But I failed when I had no external keyboard (usb or bt)

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-05-03 at 07:06.

OK, there's a new version on the web page.

It's: http://home.comcast.net/~villaesc/ma....0.1.2.all.deb

Only update is the fix for the ownership on the .formido folder and the config file inside.

(And I think I tweaked the script so that it always asks what folder to install to. I had something in there about oldversion that was making it not ask if you uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and then it would go to root.)

But remember, I am only just figuring out these install scripts, et all, so hopefully this will work. Not sure if you'll have to uninstall and install, or just install over the top.

If you tweaked the ownership of the /home/user/.formido directory and /home/user/.formido/formido.cfg file, you shouldn't need this.

desiv

Actually, on my 770, I was running opera and pypackager and application installer installing it, and my 770 crashed. No biggie, except it set at least part of my mmc to read-only. I had to copy everything off, reformat, and copy stuff back. :-(
Since my install is tar extracting a whole BUNCH of files, I knew it took a lot of CPU, so I shouldn't have been multi-multi-tasking.. Oh well.. :-)

Last edited by desiv; 2008-05-06 at 03:47.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
ukki helped me a LOT with getting that done with ROTT . I think ukki devised a brilliant system.
Yeah.

It's funny, I didn't want to copy data to the root, and then extract to the MMC, so I moved ukki's code to the preinst script and set my symbolic link there, so the regular install would just install to the linked directory. Sounded like a great idea.

But, the installer was trying to change group information on the files as it extracted them, but since it's on a FAT MMC card, it wouldn't work. (If I had my groups right on the original files, it might have been OK, but I'm doing alot of this from my tablet..)

So I still used his method of tar'ing up the data and extracting it. It still didn't take up too much space (3MB) and I delete that file when I'm done.

There's a newer method that looks nicer using gxmessage, but the version I saw was compiled for a newer version of the OS, and I really want mine to hopefully work on all versions of the OS.

desiv

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Yeah.

There's a newer method that looks nicer using gxmessage, but the version I saw was compiled for a newer version of the OS, and I really want mine to hopefully work on all versions of the OS.

desiv
Good choice, if your game will run on all versions of the OS, why let it down with the installer

I think the way it's done currently is fine , just the only thing that I like about gxmessage is that it shows you the free space, but no biggie to check yourself

The way I've got it at the moment, it doesn't tar anything up but it places the files in /tmp and then the script moves it.