Disabling the add on seems strange to me, you'll allow me to disable the add on but not remove it. Why would they force me to keep the add on but allow me to disable the add on ?

Maybe the add-on has dual functionality or some other hidden functionality, so I don't think, though I can't prove it that disabling it does anything.

I am excited about mer I wasn't aware of it so that does give me something to look forward to.

regarding about:cofig the way it pops up in the n900 combined with the lack of sleep and over sensitivity to the words "void warranty" from reading this http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...light=warranty thread. This is what allowed me to be duped especially with the lack of information on how to change the google search bar and remove the ovi add on.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia, Moscow
There is a google search extension if I remember it correctly now (or maybe it was fennec) - write your own and install it and you will be able to use Bing too if you like it.
As for ovi addon - maybe you can rip it off or it could be integrated into some Nokia closed source parts. Google forbidden to distribute some of their Android apps with a custom firmwares too.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jebba View Post
Things are way more open on N900 than most every other device out there, but there are still many key parts that are closed which totally sucks. The browser is very open though. You can grab the full source code to it if you want and do whatever you like with it.
but those key parts are very much understandable. nokia isn't a charity company and I myself concider maemo a major contribution to opensource -stuff.

if there weren't any closed parts, what would stop chinese companies from implementing straight the os free of charge to their cheaper devices? that would mean that nokia pays the bill for everybody for real costs occuring when developing maemo. (of course community makes part of the work free but there are paid professionals at nokia working completely with maemo)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by Slick View Post
regarding about:cofig the way it pops up in the n900 combined with the lack of sleep and over sensitivity to the words "void warranty" from reading this http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...light=warranty thread. This is what allowed me to be duped especially with the lack of information on how to change the google search bar and remove the ovi add on.
Oh that other thread. That went a bit off topic in my view.

I don't think trying to remove the search bar or a browser plugin is sufficient for voiding your warranty. Those are things that can be, in the worst case, returned to factory settings with a reflash. Different if you go messing with things in the hardware level and break something there.

There are options for the browser too, Midori and Firefox Mobile (Fennec) at least.

The good part, is that you came and presented the problem in a clear manner, the folks on this forum usually can help when given a clear issue :-)

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
You can remove Ovi stuff easily:
apt-get remove hildon-desktop-application-shortcuts-mr0 - ovi store shortcut,
apt-get remove ovi-promotion-widget sharing-service-ovi

There might be others as well. As for getting rid of google I'd like that as well.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Last edited by ruskie; 2009-12-31 at 12:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to ruskie For This Useful Post:
nokia isn't a charity company
Yeah, so we're paying a reasonably large amount of moneys for our nXX0's. And we have all reasons to expect our expectations are fulfilled and annoyances are missing or at least could be removed.

As for chinese, some chinese company created device based on Maemo. But you see, chinese companies are nothing in R&D. So while it cheaper, you would also receive much less polished device and would have much worse experience and more troubles. And even for Nokia, device like n900 is a challenge. So, good luck to chinese companies to displace Nokia, even with fully opensource software. Just take a look on D-Link and other taiwan or chinese vendors. Their devices are plagued with bugs and they're unable to fix them in anyhow acceptable time frame. Hence quite sucking user experience. Sources are only a half of job. Another half is to create something actually usable and that's a challenge.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
but those key parts are very much understandable. nokia isn't a charity company and I myself concider maemo a major contribution to opensource -stuff.

if there weren't any closed parts, what would stop chinese companies from implementing straight the os free of charge to their cheaper devices? that would mean that nokia pays the bill for everybody for real costs occuring when developing maemo. (of course community makes part of the work free but there are paid professionals at nokia working completely with maemo)
Red Hat isn't a charity either and they open up everything they have the right to open up.

Along those lines, then why is Nokia somewhat encouraging Mer? "The Chinese" could do the same thing with that. Same for ofono.

Closed software makes bricks:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7019

Perhaps with their hardware expertise and a very good open OS, they would stay far ahead of everyone else....

Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
You can remove Ovi stuff easily:
apt-get remove hildon-desktop-application-shortcuts-mr0 - ovi store shortcut,
apt-get remove ovi-promotion-widget sharing-service-ovi

There might be others as well. As for getting rid of google I'd like that as well.
This seems to work, pop open web:
type in about:config
click the I'll be careful link
In the search type in keyword
Two things should pop up keyword.URL and keyword.enabled
Select keyword.URL and press enter
you'll get a javascript prompt then replace google.com with the search engine of your choice. This seems to get rid of google, if you want it to work like a normal url just erase everything and click done.

Thanks for the ovi tips I'll try it now

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post

Open source is suppose to be free, a company withholding software they developed for the platform or drivers for certain hardware is normal in opensource. If Maemo is truly opensource then you'd want companies in china installing and using maemo, they would just need to do their own driver aside from community developed/donated ones. If maemo has any closed source parts other then drivers or nokia developed software(security software and etc) for it then it's not truly open source. Why would it be a bad thing if all of china used Maemo or better yet the world ?

edit:
Is this really a bad thing ?
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...-optima-op5-e/

Last edited by Slick; 2010-01-01 at 04:31.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
I'm running Mer now and I can't even charge the battery because that part is closed. Arg.