I think we might see partners

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
I think we might see partners
I think you are incorrect but I hope I'm wrong. Can't see anyone in EU or us jump on this ship. Might be someone in Asia...

Jolla Canonica, FFl and maybe Tizen should go together and release a device with all OS included to fight Android iOS and windows

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-02-06 at 07:46.

Huawei might enter They've been trying all OSes so far (That has been released ie FirefoxOS and not Tizen)

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
There is more news on this leaking on Twitter prior to MWC.

New device planned for 2015 and lots of other new stuff

I hope that device from 2015 will have a universal modem so all this networks incompatibility silliness will become history forever. That's quite some wait though.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I hope that device from 2015 will have a universal modem so all this networks incompatibility silliness will become history forever. That's quite some wait though.
Yea... I live in US and went ahead and bought one regardless. I will not get it till the end of March. So now I kind of selfishly hope a new one does not come out till 2015... Serioulsly, I basically want to learn about it and in the process make the current phone as good as possible. I actually have no more expectations. I could say that buying the current phone will help guarantee that the next version is made... but didn't folks say that about the N9...

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
There is more news on this leaking on Twitter prior to MWC.

New device planned for 2015 and lots of other new stuff
Those are not really leaks. 2015 device was said by Jolla CEO couple of days ago, including the other stuff. Already featured here in talk.
he also revealed we will get OTH announcements in MWC.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
I wouldn't hold my breath for USA support.

Combo of

A). Network system and mobile economy rigged for subsidized devices
+
B.) The ground zero for software patents and patent litigation
+
C). American insistence to use non standard (/non-european) GSM frequencies

Equals pretty much dead zone for operation like Jolla.

Honestly, I don't see any point in them risking getting sued to high heaven & the hellish lows, with the only upside of selling small amount of devices to the most hardcore open source fanatics.

EDIT: My semi-uneducated guess would be that litigation case from just one major player (Apple, Google, Qualcom; etc.) would propably cost rougjly their current seed capital.

Last edited by Rauha; 2014-02-14 at 20:03.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath for USA support.

Honestly, I don't see any point in them risking getting sued to high heaven & the hellish lows, with the only upside of selling small amount of devices to the most hardcore open source fanatics.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
That's why they shouldn't go first model as public phone for end user, but should be stated as beta (if not even alpha) device.
And second one should go as the public one. That would avoid not kept promises, and it would be acceptable that they switched hw last minute(i know that not their fault, but we got hurt of it a lot too as customers), and more time to work on OS while devs can work on more native apps.