Notices

Posts: 195 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ SF Bay Area, United States
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
scifi.guy: Hi there!

Just in case you didn't find: the enter key should center on your current position (we probably also need some button on the screen to do the same)

Any ideas on how to add public transport?
Thanks for the tip on enter key. Onscreen button (like Ovi Maps) would be great too.

After some googling, found that public transit directions are not included in the API (yet) by Google themselves (source). They are citing licensing issues for that. So for now, I will drop my transit directions request.

Maintainer of Markets Today (Yahoo Finance based desktop widget/app)

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
scifi.guy: Hi there!

Just in case you didn't find: the enter key should center on your current position (we probably also need some button on the screen to do the same)

Any ideas on how to add public transport?
+1 for the on screen center map at current position...

I use this as a moving traffic map much as I did with Maemo Mapper on the N810. At start up it auto centers and will prompt a redraw as I move out of the area so that the position indicator snaps back to center... Excellent.

When I scroll the map manually to check out traffic up ahead, if I hit the enter key (or in the future, an on screen button) and the position snaps back, will the map continue to redraw as I move like it does when I first open the app?

Is it possible to program a lead distance into this tracking action so that the map will redraw sooner and provide more "look ahead"?

You also might want to consider user configurable map repositories as Google has a nasty habit of changing their URL from time to time.

Superb program BTW. Put a "donate" addy on an about screen or post it here as I would be happy to contribute to this worthwhile effort.

SLN member # 009

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
When I scroll the map manually to check out traffic up ahead, if I hit the enter key (or in the future, an on screen button) and the position snaps back, will the map continue to redraw as I move like it does when I first open the app?
It should. I haven't tested the application as much as I would like. I hurried to release a new version because I knew I wouldn't have much free time after then.

Is it possible to program a lead distance into this tracking action so that the map will redraw sooner and provide more "look ahead"?
I don't see why not. Right now it uses a margin of 1/8 of the screen - anytime your location falls into the external 1/8 of the screen it will recenter.

You also might want to consider user configurable map repositories as Google has a nasty habit of changing their URL from time to time.
I don't think this will be an issue for geeps. I don't deal with the map tiles. I am using the Google Maps API (javascript objects).

Superb program BTW. Put a "donate" addy on an about screen or post it here as I would be happy to contribute to this worthwhile effort.
I appreciate. Maybe I will at some point.

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Fantastic application - just need drag now and a button to focus quickly on your current location.

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
a button to focus quickly on your current location.
Enter button on keyboard does it.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ San Marino
+1

(ten characters)

Hi, just bumped into your thread.. Seems like a good app, but still I have this on my mind...

There are quite a few map apps around now, yet none quite usable. It would be nice to see the devs join efforts instead of each making his own app. Obviously creating a rich and feature-complete map application is a huge task, too much for one-man army.

You are using google data in your app, unlike the others. But wouldn't it be possible to have an application in which you could switch the data source (OSM, google, ...). I've read somewhere the format is actually the same. Google has the best data, but one big drawback is that none of it is available offline (AFAIK?).

My favorite app so far is CloudGPS (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58402), which doesn't have many features atm., but uses OpenGL for rendering, making it incredibly smooth.

I haven't checked out your app yet, will do so soon. But it will be 4th map app in my phone. I don't want 4 mediocre applications, I just want one good.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lukash For This Useful Post:
Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by lukash View Post
Hi, just bumped into your thread.. Seems like a good app, but still I have this on my mind...

There are quite a few map apps around now, yet none quite usable. It would be nice to see the devs join efforts instead of each making his own app. Obviously creating a rich and feature-complete map application is a huge task, too much for one-man army.

You are using google data in your app, unlike the others. But wouldn't it be possible to have an application in which you could switch the data source (OSM, google, ...). I've read somewhere the format is actually the same. Google has the best data, but one big drawback is that none of it is available offline (AFAIK?).

My favorite app so far is CloudGPS (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58402), which doesn't have many features atm., but uses OpenGL for rendering, making it incredibly smooth.

I haven't checked out your app yet, will do so soon. But it will be 4th map app in my phone. I don't want 4 mediocre applications, I just want one good.
I do understand your point but I am afraid out of all the applications mine is the one that we won't be able to integrate to the others.

I believe all the other applications (even the ones using google data) render their own maps. Geeps uses a web browser (webkit) and leaves all the rendering to "google".

You also need to keep in mind that they are not all developed using the same language and may have different goals.

Like you I would like to just have ONE gps application that really works with all included (offline, voice directions, good local business search, integration with other apps, poi....) but haven't found it yet.

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
I do understand your point but I am afraid out of all the applications mine is the one that we won't be able to integrate to the others.

I believe all the other applications (even the ones using google data) render their own maps. Geeps uses a web browser (webkit) and leaves all the rendering to "google".
Please pardon my ignorance... In this case, your app is like a front end to maps.google.com, as opposed to something like the google maps I used to use on my n96, correct?

Hi,

This looks pretty exciting.

I tried to install but got the 'unable to install' message because the package "libqtm-location" is missing.

Is there a way of getting that package? I'm using the phone to download the app. Would I have more luck browsing to this page:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/geeps/ ?

Thanks.