Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
crap. seems that i haven't saved latest arduino sketch...
but it was something like this. (todo: rewrite @ JHD)

Code:
#include <Wire.h>
  /* Initialize i2c */
  Wire.begin(0x22);            
  Wire.onReceive(receiveEvent);
Code:
/* I2C receive event... */
void receiveEvent(int howMany)
{
  //ereader.wake();
  while(1 < Wire.available()) 
  {
    char c = Wire.read(); 
    Serial.print(c);
    ereader.put_char(x, y, c, true);
    x+=9;
  }
  int x = Wire.read();  
  Serial.println(x);       
  ereader.put_char(x, y, c, true);
  x=0;
  y+=10;
  ereader.show();
}

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
From Jolla Hack Day 22.2.2014

http://t.co/Ti6GV8cRTg

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Awesome

The Following User Says Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
just wondering how the progress is going and if there are any plans for pre-orders hehehe

The Following User Says Thank You to toki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Taking up one of my old ideas here, though it would require a larger, touch-capable e-Ink display:

How about combining this project with dirkvl's project and making an e-Ink keyboard? By adding the slider mechanism from the qwerty-OH, and adding a thin silicone overlay that gives a tactile segmentation of the display into key-sized squares, it might be possible to have an e-Ink-keyboard that becomes thinner than the qwerty-OH and can adapt on the fly to any keyboard layout you want.

The Following User Says Thank You to stefanmohl For This Useful Post:
What is the benefit of an e-ink keyboard, its still a touch screen keyboard, right? And that one you already have on the jolla

The Following User Says Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Well, a touch screen keyboard isn't actually bad in some ways:
  • It reacts very fast since the keypress occurs as soon as you touch the "key", without the delay of moving the key physically
  • It is ergonomic, since no force has to be applied to pressing they key. Note that the lack of physical movement of the keys don't really mean a disadvantage, you can type much "softer", hitting the keys with much less force on a touch keyboard. This also increases typing speed.
  • It can change configuration dynamically, such as depending on what app it is being used for, or depending on keyboard modifiers you are touching at the moment.

The main problems for touch typing on a touch keyboard:
  • There is no physical feedback to tell you where on the keyboard you are touching it (are you right, left or center to hitting the key? Or are you just between two keys?).
  • Compared to a full-size keyboard, a mobile phone keyboard is much smaller, making touch typing harder.
  • When maximizing the size of a virtual keyboard by placing the phone in landscape mode, so little screen real-estate remains for the application that it often becomes a problem to navigate the text-entry fields.

If you are able to get past the pre-conception that the longer key-travel a keyboard has, the more ergonomic it is (consider the very short travel of the famous Thinkpad keyboards of the IBM-age, and compare to the long travel of an old mechanical typewriter), you can start focusing on the main problem; the lack of lateral (not vertical!) physical feedback.

The point is that lateral physical feedback is really easy to do! Just paint a grid of silicone squares or make a grid of dots or bulges, and you are done! It can even be thinner than a traditional physical keyboard, since there is no need for the space for keys to move in, and since finger tips are incredibly sensitive, an overlay can be very, very thin. The problem is of course that silicone isn't virtual. However, if you come to terms with having a keyboard without vertical travel, then a dedicated keyboard would let you have a permanent physical overlay, and at the same time avoid stealing your screen space. That is when it becomes really appealing to me!

Full disclosure: I am on Dirkvl's waiting list for a qwerty-OH. But even if I am fully satisfied with the qwerty-OH, I believe I would still buy a dedicated touch keyboard if someone were able to make it.

Last edited by stefanmohl; 2014-03-30 at 19:39.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stefanmohl For This Useful Post:
Ah, to each their own i guess, the feedback i get from vertical travel during typing is irreplaceable hence i prefer i hardware keyboard.

There was a prototype touchscreen developed by Nokia IIRC or a Japanese operator that could lift its surface for a few millimeters at a desired position, thus offering vertical travel and a touch screen that fooled your fingertips that vertical travel occurred via small electrical current but i don't know what happened to them.

When those become a reality, i might reconsider

http://www.techinasia.com/kyocera-buttons/

Last edited by Daneel; 2014-03-30 at 19:43.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
Ah, to each their own i guess, the feedback i get from vertical travel during typing is irreplaceable hence i prefer i hardware keyboard.

There was a prototype touchscreen developed by Nokia IIRC or a Japanese operator that could lift its surface for a few millimeters at a desired position, thus offering vertical travel and a touch screen that fooled your fingertips that vertical travel occurred via small electrical current but i don't know what happened to them.

When those become a reality, i might reconsider

http://www.techinasia.com/kyocera-buttons/
Reminds me of Tactus. I think that on that matter, it's the most advanced project.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
Daneel, yup, we all have different bodies, so things feel different to us all. However, I only quite recently realized that the vertical feedback isn't really the problem, and that the lateral feedback is much more important to me. You might too, if you dig into it! :-)

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Reminds me of Tactus. I think that on that matter, it's the most advanced project.
The Tactus is very similar to what I am thinking of, however, I think the real estate taken by the keyboard is an important factor too. It might be that the domes of the Tactus are enough to make a portrait keyboard useful so that the lost screen area isn't so big, let's hope!

The Following User Says Thank You to stefanmohl For This Useful Post:

Tags
eink screen, the other half